Recommendations on electronics for Lund Baron Recommendations on electronics for Lund Baron Recommendations on electronics for Lund Baron Recommendations on electronics for Lund Baron
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    paskuls Guest

Question Recommendations on electronics for Lund Baron

Hi,

I recently ordered a 2011 Lund Baron 2150 Gran Sport and am soliciting your opinions on what electronics you'd recommend. Obviously I'm going to put a chartplotter/GPS unit, a fish/depth finder and a marine radio. I'm looking for your opinions on whether to go with a 2-in-1 screen, seperate units or specific models. Color v black & white, screen sized HD or no HD, stuff like that. Also, I'd really appreciate any input on stuff to stay away from or relating any bad experiences you've had with particular units or companies whether it was during the purchase, warranty claims, etc. I'm planning on using the boat mostly (95%) on big water (Great lakes) and going after walleye and salmon. I have a smaller rig for small inland lakes that I'll use for panfish, etc. And lastly, any advise on electric trolling motors is appreciated. I'm not trying to turn this into a mud slinging event or a "Ford V Chevy" type argument post. I'm just looking to tap into the great weath of knowledge from all you fine folks....

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,
    Check out the Lowrance HDS Systems. I've got the HDS-7 in my 2101 Striper.
    Love it! GPS Fishfinder combo, Color, HD Screen, The works. I would highly recommend it.

Chuck

paskuls Guest

Default Hds-7

Thanks Chuck. Do you (or anyone else) know if the HDS-7 has the ability to have 2 displays hooked to it? A buddy of mine has one display on his dash and another mounted at the bow so he can see what he's doing when he's on the bow platform operating his electric trolling motor.

paskuls Guest

Default Looking for more input

Come on folks... ya mean of the 259 people who've viewed this post, only TWO have an opinion?

Help me out.. Spring is around the corner..

Default finders

Check all of the manufactures they are all good, although I have heard reports first hand from original owners that Lowrance have been difficult to get warranty work done in a timely manner. I am not sure about the other manufactuers but Lowrance does offer a networking cable affair so you can have two or three units mounted at various places on your boat. Just remember that you cannot run two units at the same time if their transducers transmit at the same freqency as they will interfer with each other. A good set up would be to have a sonar only mounted on the stern and a combo gps/sonar on the dash. Just my .02 cents worth.
    If at all possible go to a Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop, they will have the most popular units from all the popular companies on display with the demo mode available to try out. That way you can determine for yourself which unit(s) fit your needs best and see them in action side by side with a trained sales person to show you the difference in the different units. You really can't go wrong with one of the more popular units.
    Last edited by wakina; 02-07-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: more info

paskuls Guest

Default Thanx Wakina

Thanks.. I didn't know about the transducers transmitting at the same frequency... That's good advise.. I'm heading to the boat show in Syracuse NY this weekend to check out all the stuff I can and talk with the vendors.

paskuls Guest

Default This thread is DEAD

Thx Wakina.. I read alot of bad press about Lowrance customer (or lack of customer) service so I went with the Hummingbird 1198 SI. I've had good luck with hummingbird products so I decided to "go with what ya know"... Good luck to all.. Spring is here - too bad the lake ice doesn't know it yet...

<°((()))><

Quote Originally Posted by paskuls View Post
    Thx Wakina.. I read alot of bad press about Lowrance customer (or lack of customer) service so I went with the Hummingbird 1198 SI. I've had good luck with hummingbird products so I decided to "go with what ya know"... Good luck to all.. Spring is here - too bad the lake ice doesn't know it yet...

<°((()))><
    You're welcome paskuls! Glad you found what you wanted!

I had the lawerence mt 15 and just bought a hd 8 with map insite, This looks like it will work great and has radar. I did'nt get lss side scan option but may add this next year as I just got an autopilot also, out of money now just need to fish. I also run a lawerence 126 on the transom near my down riggers, this one also works good but small screan. Good luck with your search.

Prime Time 2

10. Default

im not here to judge or anything but i want to tell you about something that happened at out marina. One day last year there were several people on my dock who uses Lowrance units and they suddenly stopped working. 2 charter captains and 3 or 4 boaters units quit working exactly the same time. From the understanding i have is that there was a radar burst that hit our marina and the lowrance units were the only ones effected. I was told that the problem was the gps antenna that picked up this radar burst and fried there units. I know for a fact that a majority of them had alot of problems getting warranty work and or replacement. And i know some switched to different brands of gps/sonar after this had happened. We have a garmin and did not feel the effects of this "radar burst" so im just giving 2nd party information.
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    http://www.roughhousecharters.com