Goofy Garmin FF Goofy Garmin FF Goofy Garmin FF Goofy Garmin FF

Thread: Goofy Garmin FF

redoakwood Guest

Default Goofy Garmin FF

Hello Guys,

Been looking all over the internet for info on a fishfinder. HOpe there is someone here that can help me.

Just bought a boat with a Garmin 160C. Looked like a nice unit. First time out it started flashing depth number and had a broken display at 12 mph and faster. Had to slow down to mark fish. Then started marking fish but they disappeared when the boat was put in neutral. Stopped to perch fish and were getting bites and catching fish but still no marks.

Called Garmin tech support and they told me I was outrunning the echo at 12+ mph. No idea about losing marks when in neutral.

Haven't fished for a few years but the Hummingbird I used to have would show fish at 35mph.

Would greatly appreciate any info or wisdom on this.

Default Transducer

Quote Originally Posted by redoakwood View Post
    Hello Guys,

Been looking all over the internet for info on a fishfinder. HOpe there is someone here that can help me.

Just bought a boat with a Garmin 160C. Looked like a nice unit. First time out it started flashing depth number and had a broken display at 12 mph and faster. Had to slow down to mark fish. Then started marking fish but they disappeared when the boat was put in neutral. Stopped to perch fish and were getting bites and catching fish but still no marks.

Called Garmin tech support and they told me I was outrunning the echo at 12+ mph. No idea about losing marks when in neutral.

Haven't fished for a few years but the Hummingbird I used to have would show fish at 35mph.

Would greatly appreciate any info or wisdom on this.
    Where and how is the units transducer fastened to the boat?

If it is fastened outside on the transom on an adjustable bracket, it is quite possible the transducer needs to be tilted a little bit forward. If it is pointed straight down then the return echo will be arriving to late to be picked up as the boat has moved forward and away from the returning echo. If it is pointed to the rear then the returning echo may be weak and unable to define fish on the bottom at rest, also sounds like you are getting some sort of turbulance in the mix also causing the unit to give false fish marks and a broken screen. But first we need to know the answer to the first question.

redoakwood Guest

Default Out of the blue, a sensible answer

Thank you for the reply. It was an old post and I gave up on getting an answer.

Your reply makes sense. I will check the transducer angle and tilt it a little forward. The Garmin has a seperate speed wheel that was working when I took the boat out for a tryout but never worked again later. On pulling the boat in the fall I found that the forklift that put the boat in the water must have tilted the speed wheel above the transom bottom. The same lift could have displaced the transducer.

Boat will go back in soon. Will let you know the results.