Introduction and Advice Introduction and Advice Introduction and Advice Introduction and Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Introduction and Advice

My handle is Stiksave. I'm retired in the town of Lancaster, NY. My walleye fishing experience is from the 70's and 80's fishing Oneida Lake. We jigged, drifted harnesses, and still fished at night with great success. Kids, career, and life in general have kept me away from fishing for a long time. Now that I'm retired, my son and I refurbed a 16' fiberglass Star Craft bow rider with a 70 HP Merc. We spent the summer completing the task which kept us away from the heart of the fishing season on the Eastern end of Lake Erie, it went West.

So I'm looking for advice on fishing our end of the lake from opening day on. I won't be buying down riggers or planer boards right off, so help using fishable old school techniques to put fish in the cooler will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this, it's a great site, and I hope to become a regular contributor.

If you can this weekend come to the outdoors show in Niagara Falls find the ultimate outdoors booth where 3 of us will be working the booth . We will talk face to face with you plus a bunch from this site will be there stopping by I don't know the times they plan on going but sure they'll chime in here. You will learn a lot I'm sure plus we are doing 2 seminars. Fishkiller knows our times for them . If you don't make it up over time with questions we'll all answer you . Go to beginning of how's fishing in Buffalo thread and start reading lots of great info hidden within it already.
    22' starcraft islander "H"EYE STRUNG

Staff Fishing WNY
    Team member Descendants outdoors TV
    Prostaff Elusion camo .
    Prostaff ITO Flies
    Prostaff Ultimate Outdoors of WNY.
    Field Staff Kishels Scents and Lures .

Seminar times are Saturday at 4:00pm on stealth walleye tactics and Sunday at 12:30 on fishing worm harnesses.
    Ultimate Outdoors of WNY
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ultim...28741153979264
    Ultimate Adventure SportFishing
    https://www.facebook.com/Ultimate-Ad...e-Sportfishing
    31 FT Tiara Open Hard Top
    2012 AmaraCan Walleye Champions
    ProStaffer:
    Bay Rat Lures
    http://www.bayratlures.com/
    Torpedo Divers
    http://torpedodivers.com
    Traxstech
    http://www.traxstech.com
    Kishel's Scents
    http://kishelscents.com
    Grizzly Coolers
    https://www.grizzlycoolers.com/

Buy the Book Walleye Trolling...It is a great starting point with lots of pictures and diagrams with explanations. It was Co-Written By Ross Robertson of Big Water Guide service (google him).

https://www.facebook.com/BigwaterFishing

I did a learning charter with him last May in Port Clinton OH. The guy is a Walleye Slayer! Like fishing in a bucket.

His way of fishing worked great up on the shallower Buffalo end of Lake Erie until the end of June when the fish moved West to the deeper water.

Stik:
    Welcome! The guys here will share their experience with you. You should read all of the posts from prior years. Then you wont ask questions that they have answered previously.

Last year it seemed that anyone with a boat that could get out from 20-50 feet of water (fow) off the windmills was catching fish. I saw all methods being successful. Drifting, jigging, trolling, boards, downrigs, lead core, wire, etc....Get out as often as you can, weather permitting, and see what others are doing, and what works for you. A lot depends on how much you want to spend. Deep wide boats, Kicker motors, line counter reels, graphite rods, braided and lead line, etc....all can get VERY expensive. Some of these guys have crankbaits in any size, color and manufacture that you can imagine. Same goes for worm harnesses. Just tons of colors, blade sizes and styles, hook count etc....

My personal strategy is to get a few eaters each time I go out. I do not get hung up on limit catches. I do not spend every last dime on gear. I have fun and enjoy every time out.

I look at each fish I catch closely and carefully. Even a Sheapshead makes me think, "HA, I out-smarted you". I caught a big Catfish last year that took me for a hell of a ride. I threw it back, but it was one of best catches of the season.

ALWAYS keep safety as your #1 priority. Make sure that your boat has all the required gear. Law enforcement was out with a vengeance last year.

Last but not least, fish hard and fish smart! You wont catch fish if you are at home on the couch watching fishing shows!

Mr Roboto,

Great reply, except for throwing the cat back, Poor Man's Lobster.
    I've enjoyed many a channel cat, cubed, poached and dipped in butter.I've been working my way through the posts, taking it all in.I need to make a few equipment decisions, then just get out there. Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiksave View Post
    Mr Roboto,

Great reply, except for throwing the cat back, Poor Man's Lobster.
    I've enjoyed many a channel cat, cubed, poached and dipped in butter.I've been working my way through the posts, taking it all in.I need to make a few equipment decisions, then just get out there. Thanks for the input.
    Stick, Would you really eat a 17 pound cat from Lake Erie? How old do you think this fish is? I guess i believe the old adage that the younger smaller fish are the best tasting. When you say "poached" do you mean par-boiled? Would you use a lot of wine and garlic etc to do this? I seem to be a magnet for cats. We love catching them. When i lived in Ohio i was told they were called "mud cats" because they taste like mud. Here is a big flathead that we threw back also.

Also another nice channel that went back in:

I skin thefish, then fillet, cube the fillets about an inch to inch and a half. Have your water boiling, I use a wok spoon strainer to drop the cubes in and fish them out. You can add some old bay to the water. The wife melts butter for dipping and cocktail sauce(red). I can't cook the whole thing fast enough, as they come out they get eaten. Those were channel cats in May. Also still reading "how's fishing in Buffalo" back to front.
    Last edited by Stiksave; 01-26-2015 at 04:21 PM.

Does any one use Cabella's snap weight trolling system?

I use big boards with torpedo divers, jet divers, dipsys, lead core. Ha Ha everything that Fishkiller sells. Oh yeah sometimes down riggers.
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams