Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Talking Sturgeon Point 7/19/08

Went straight West from Sturgeon, until 70 to 73 feet of water.
    A couple of miles from the Canadian Line, in front of the Catt.
    Got 9 eyes in 3 hours, kept 6, released 3.
    Largest fish 9+ pounds, big Dipsey, no ring, set at 3, 62 feet of 17 pound mono. Black+purple dipsey. Black worm harness with purple tape. 4 fish on lead core, one with 6 colors, one with 5 colors on big planer boards.
    Got 2 fish on 25 foot jets with 200 feet of 17lb mono, set on the other big board. Black and purple caught almost all the fish. Got a sea sick land lubber and had to quit at noon, but I know we could have limited easy. At one point we had 3 fish hit at the same time. School was tightly packed, so you had to keep circling with the GPS to stay on the active fish.
    Pukin Dog

Odie1 Guest

Thanks for all the info... sounds like you had a great day! Tight lines...

walleyed Guest

Default Tuesday

Thanks for the update.I'm going to try and fanagle a few hour of fishing in Tuesday morning.Heading out of the Niagara river to the deep stuff,so I'm hoping for calm seas.The forcast looks good.I'll be in a 22 ft.Trophy with outboard Mercs.I'm only fishing 2 rods so it'll be easy to stay out of your way.Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the info. I hope to get out Sat. or Sun ,weather depending. I will be going out of Sturgeon Pt. I launch from there all the time. This sounds like the area that I fished a few years ago and found it to be very productive. I've tried it a few times after that but didn't do much. I use to see some fishing nets / small bouys set up that's when you know you're very close to Canada.

Good Luck!

Thumbs up commerical nets

Yes, Ive seen the nets in the past.
    They are Canadian comericial guys.
    They just don't get it. A few guys making big money at the expense of thousands of sport fishermen. Maybe someday the Canadian sportsmen will by them out, like all the US guys did. I haven't seen any yet this year, they are usually down close to the Canadian weather bouy. I've been closer to Buffalo, as I can't see the bouy even on clear days.

Good luck

Default Always a story

I was able to get out Sat. morning. Went 6 miles west out of Sturgeon Pt. I was in 66 ft. of water. There were white caps with 3 to 4 ft waves. I decided to troll from there. Trolled east with the waves. Had 4 hits - landed 3 of them. We were using planer boards - 2 rods on the port side had 2 oz. and 1 1/2 oz. weights. We had worm harnesses on them with watermellon and purple / black combination. The starboard side had 2 poles with a 20 and 30 jet. I had the Coast Guard all around me. It was very dark over Canada so I put on the weather radio. They said that most of the activity was north of us so we decided to keep fishing. When I switched back to the standard stations I went to ch 16. There was a report saying that there was a unmanned boat located 4 mi. off Sturgeon Pt. The coast Guard was looking for a missing person. I thought OH BOY I don't want to catch what they're looking for. When I got back to the Pt. to put the boat back on the trailer the D E C was there measuring fish. I asked them if they heard anything if they located anybody? The D E C said that they believed the unmanned boat was off a lake freighter that went through earlier in the day. It makes for a complete day when you have a good story to tell.

s

Wink Rockin & Rollin

I know what you mean about the white caps.
    I didn't fish this week end because of the wind.
    Sounds like you had a fair day. Good luck next outing. Give me a shout on channel 68 when you are on the lake. If I'm out, I'll let you know how I'm doing and where I am.

Puking Dog

Hopefully I will be able to get out next Saturday. I'm always on ch 68.

Default Gas Wells

The Sunday BNews was showing all the gas wells in Canada right in the middle of L Erie. Probably 10 mi west of Sturgeon Pt. There are 100's of them. Are you guys who saw the buoys sure they are net fishermen or could they be gas wells ?

I'm going west 10 miles out of SP and try my luck. So far, nothing in the freezer ! Gotta get some yellows.

Default gas wells,weather bouy, Brocton fish

Gas wells are under water. You can't see them from a boat and to my knowledge are not marked with bouys. There is a weather bouy out there that you can access from the internet for wind speed/direction and wave height. below is the address, save it, it updates hourly and can tell you a lot about how the lake conditions are and what the trend is.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45142

If you need to catch fish, go to Brocton Schoals area, between Dunkirk and Barcelona, 65 feet of water, in front of a blue water tower,
    slightly SW of schoals. Last week you could limit out there in 2 hours.
    Brocton schoals is marked on any good lake chart of the area. It has some rare structure for this end of the lake. Fish are being caught off the structure by a couple miles.

Puking Dog