Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08 Sturgeon Point 7/19/08
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    jimski2 Guest

Point Breeze Marina has a small ramp. Put a $5 bill in the gate machine and go straight to the ramp. Park near the Gate house. Use your power tilt till to you get 4 feet of water as swells will cost you a prop. It is shallow and a few rocks travel around there.

Wink to jerseysider

Don't set your dipsey at zero.
    You want to get get it as far away from the boat as possible, to get a wider troll pattern. This allows you to cover more water and troll more lines.

You should be setting at 2 and a half or 3 with the weight on the bottom of the dipsey, on the inside (closest to the boat). So the port side dipsey will be set opposite of the starboard dipsey.

The only way you should be running dipsey's set at zero is if your running 3 dipsey's on each side of the boat.

If you are running 3 per side, set one at .5 or zero, the middle one at 1.5 and the outside one at 2.5 or 3.

The closer to the boat, the deeper they run. Try to get all 3 running at different depths until you hone in on where the fish are hitting then adjust the others by controlling how much line you let out.

You can also run mini-dipseys on planer boards.

When it comes to Lake Erie, the farther away from the boat you can get, the better you are. The fish can see your boat coming and will fan away from the boat.

Good luck next trip

Puking dog

jersysider Guest

Thanks for the info pukin dpg! Gonna try and make it up one day this week if the weather cooperates. Not ready to hang it up just yet.....J!

Default Weekend fishing!

Hi Guys!
    I went out Sat. morning out of Dunkirk. Got there at 5:00am just in time to watch the light show - Thunder, lightning & horizontal rain. After the front went through we went out to 85 ft. of water N W out of the harbor. I was in my neighbors boat - he keeps it there. We got 15 eyes - three of us. Ran jets on one side, and jensen deep divers on the other. Also 2 downriggers - one had a Renowski the other had a worm harnes. The jets and divers all had worm harnesses. The renosky had the best hit, it took drag. All the rest were very light hits. To tell you the truth I really couldn't tell when a fish was on but I think my neighbor smells them when they are on the line.
    We went back to the same location Sun. morning 5:30 am. The wind was coming out of the North East pretty hard but we managed to get out. It was rough. We went to the same location that we were at Sat. but didn't have the same screen that we had the day before. Don't know where the fish went. We ended up with 4. It was 10:00 am and had a hard time trolling so decided to call it quits.
    When I got home I noticed the wind had eased up a little. I got the urge to go out again. Went to Sturgeon Pt. launched myself and was fishing by 2:30 pm. Went 7 miles west to 70 ft. of water. Trolled renoskys, one on a jet and one on a small dipsy # 3 setting but had no hits.
    When is the wind going to stop????

Default Renoskys

Everyone mentions Renosky lures; if you guys dont mind what kinds are you running off of downriggers and divers? I visited their website and of course there are quite a few. I see that Cabelas doesn't carry them either. Any recommendations on where to get them? thanks.

Post re renoskis

I buy mine at Dicks or Gander mountain.
    They are also refered to as polish pirates.
    They are shallow divers, small lip, 1 piece stick baits.
    Most people remove the front treble hook to get better swim action.
    I do too, but I don't know if it really does any thing except make it easy to get them out of the net. You will rarely see a walleye with the front hook in it's mouth.
    My best colors black back, blue center and pink bottom
    or black back, purple center, pink bottom.

The guys at Brocton have been using rainbow color

Pukin Dog

I hear alot about the Clown Renosky. Any luck with them? I think it looks like smelt.

Post clown

I don't own one, but I agree it probably does look like a smelt and I know walleye love smelt.
    I mostly stick to worm harness's and only play with stick baits when fish are hard to come by and I get desperate or forget my crawlers or run out.

Sticks also work good when the silver bass or perch are pecking your night crawlers off faster than you can get em in the lake.

Default What a weekend?

Were you able to get out over the weekend? Wind, Rain, Large waves and Whitecaps what a good weekend? Summer is dwindling down. This is one of the worst summers that I can remember.