Looking For Tips At This Time Of The Year Looking For Tips At This Time Of The Year Looking For Tips At This Time Of The Year Looking For Tips At This Time Of The Year
    echo0449 Guest

Smile Looking For Tips At This Time Of The Year

Hi I will be fishing out of Sturgen Point This Saturday, Does anyone have any tips for me . I do not have any downriggers or planner boards yet for I am a NEWBEE to the boating and fishing here for Walleye my favorite fish. anyones help would be more that satisfying
    thanks
    echo0449

sabercuts Guest

might want to pick up a dipsy diver if you want to troll,bottem bouncers for drifting.good luck

Thumbs up can you say lead core?

If you troll, buy some lead core line.
    You need a large trolling reel.
    First put on some mono or braid backer line on the reel, as much as you can fit and still leave room for the lead core.
    Pull the lead center out of a couple inches of the lead core and tie it to the backer. Spool up as much lead core as you want to troll, I suggest 4 to 5 colors this time of year, but some guys use as many a 8 colors when the fish are deep. If you have 4 colors on your reel, and you want to get deeper, add 1 ounce of snap weight for each 10 feet of depth, at the tie point of the fluorocarbon leader to the lead line. Each color is 10 yards long, so you dont need a line counter reel.
    Strip another 2 or 3 inches of lead out of the center of the lead core then tie on 100 feet of pure fluorocarbon line (I like Seaguar)and then add a good ball bearing snap swivel (Sampo are the best, cheap ones are junk). If your fluorcarbon line gets beat up or nicked by the lure, trim it back and re-tie the swivel. Don't have less than 30 feet of fluorcarbon, or the fish can see the lead and will shy away.
    Figure you are 8 feet in depth for each color of lead when trolling worm harness or shallow diving stick bait at 1.6 to 1.8 mph.

Let out all of your colors plus some backer, then attach your in-line planer board or your release to your big planer board. Let out some more backer.

Dipsey's also work well and the well equipted troller should have both and jets, because one will out produce the others, on any given day.
    Don't troll more than 1 lead core rig on each side of the boat, if you are also using jet divers in your set up.

Jet divers and lead core like to tangle in boat turns if you get them too close together. One will loft different than the other and screw up everything. This is because lead core is so heavy compared to mono so it turns slower.

Your other option is jet divers in 20 foot or 30 foot sizes. The more line you let out the deeper they go. This is where line counter reels come into play so you can repeat what works when you find a fish getting pattern. With 20 foot jets this time of year, put out 200 to 275 feet of line until you find the depth the fish want. In the spring 150 to 225 feet.

ALL OF THESE TECHNIQUES WORK WELL ON SALMON AND TROUT ON LAKE ONTARIO ALSO.

Cool this forum is fishing info

Get a life pin heads.
    This forum is for fishing info, not selling batteries or posting chinese jiberish.
    Must we spam the crap out of everything.
    You people make me sea sick.