L Erie tribs steelie fishing L Erie tribs steelie fishing L Erie tribs steelie fishing L Erie tribs steelie fishing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default L Erie tribs steelie fishing

Think I might hit scoby dam and downstream first thing in the morning. Anyone been out steelie fishing. Heard the Catt has the best run that people have seen so far.

I never fished for steelies. What type of lure do you guys use? Where at catt creek would i go? Thanks

Steelhead fishing is very addicting. Your first fish you hook will have you hooked.
    Where are you located ? If fishing Erie tribs I can point you on ur way. If ur fishing lake O. Tribs. Ask member bailey. He can help you out up that way.

Looks like the Catt blew out overnight 1450cfs. Guess I'm stickin to smaller streams or maybe the south branch catt.

Im located in the derby/hamburg area. I always wanted to fish for them but i need a little guidence. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by smikac32 View Post
    Im located in the derby/hamburg area. I always wanted to fish for them but i need a little guidence. thank you
    You have eighteen mile, canadaway, Chautauqua,silver, walnut and Catt to choose from near you.

Unless ur an avid fly fisher I would just stick to using a spinning rod n reel. Basic gear to get you started: rod n reel. If you have a long spinning rod 9ft. Use it. Otherwise use what you have. 8lb test mainline. 4-6lb flourocarbon leader. A good small swivel. And I'll get to bait in a minute. You'll need hip boots or waders. Polarized sunglasses. Scissors or clippers, needle nose pliers. A backpack or waist bag. Take a couple bottles of water with you, pack light. You'll be doing alot of walking in unfriendly terrain. Spin fishing arsenal should include, hooks. I like octopus hooks. Size 6-10 depending. Assortment of splitshot, and small trout floats. Not those plastic red n white bobbers. Next is bait n lures. Forget those pre packaged salmon egg sacs. Waste of money. You might get lucky on them but I never have. Trout beads work good though I've never used them. You'll have to google it. Jigs under a float is a great rig. Small 1/8 oz n down. White first then various colors of pink to black. Trout egg sacs, steelie skien, night crawlers, emerald shiners. 3 inch white power grubs are sometimes killer tumbled down the ripples and into a hole. Mousies, grubs. Berkley power wrigglers, new Berkeley gulp maggots on a 10 or 12 hook is a good combo. In fact that's almost all I use on my fly rod for inland trout the last couple seasons.

Your biggest challenge is gonna be presentation. A fish can pass up the same bait 10 times. And hit on the 11th. That's because it was a perfect presentation. Learn to read the water. Ripples, lines, eddies ect. It takes patients to fish for them. Don't get discouraged if you don't catch anything ur first few times out. Once you get the feel for it and you hook that first fish you'll be hooked.
    Think that about covers some basics needed for steelies. Any other questions let me know.

Well all streams are muddy do to runoff. Even smaller Cayuga creek. Inland starts tomorrow. I hate when work gets in the way of fishing

Default Fishing Forecast (is there such a thing)

Hey Guys,

I'm coming up to fish the Zoar Valley section of the Catt at the end of April. Think most of the snow will be gone and the creek will be at an acceptable flow by then? Also, with the cold weather you guys had do you think the spring run was delayed a bit? I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the rains hold off and the creek is full of Steelhead. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

I agree, it definitely is very addicting! Thought I would post the update regarding steelhead here from the State of the Lake meeting. Although our steelhead fishing remains the envy of much of the country, there has been a notable drop (which many of us have witnessed) over the last few years. The DEC thinks it is due to lamprey predation, which also has impacted burbot and whitefish populations. Despite all the recent treatments of lamprey nests in local streams (which have been successful on those streams) the lamprey population overall is still up and may be coming in from other locations further up the lake which hopefully may be addressed in coming years.

The good news on the walleye end, however, is that the 2010 year class appears to have been particularly successful, almost on par with the monster hatch of 2003.