Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York Re-powering question in Western New York
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Re-powering question in Western New York

Hey gang,

This past season my 1992 150 HP Force OB etched a cylinder and I had to make decision whether to rebuild or re-power. Without too much thought I chose to re-power. After researching my options going forward and getting opinions from this site, I think I have settled on looking for a mid-1990's Johnson/Evinrude, carbuerated, 135-150 hp OB. I chose this partly because my budget, total, will fall somewhere $2,500-$3,000, and a few guys here said I should be able to find what I am looking for in that price range.

I called a recommended dry-dock/dealer today and told him to keep his eyes out over the next few months for me. He thought that what I expected to pay for such an engine (I told him $2,00-$2,500 plus install) was low. He said to call back in a few weeks and he would tell me what he found and give me an idea of prices.

Now, I know how negotiations work, trust me. So him telling me I needed to spend more didn't shock me, but I figured I would check with the knowledgeable individuals here to see what the prevailing opinion was. Basically I want to know if my expectations are unrealistic (total price (install included) @ $3,000 minus whatever they would give me for my trade in that could be parted out)

Let me know what you think, and if I am not thinking of anything I should.

Also, any idea where I can go to find used outboards near the Buffalo, NY area? I tink I might be best served buying from a dealer since buying on ebay or craiglsit seems risky for me-especially since I am not super mechanically inclined.

Thanks,

Matt

If you go with an evinrude it has a different bolt pattern than force on your transom. also it will cost on average $500 for new controls/guages You can't use your old stuff as it won't match. I spent $5800 total to replace an 150 evinrude with a used 150 yamaha a few years ago. worked out great for me. I know a good dealer in the Detroit area if you want to come this far that deals strickly in evinrudes. But I think you'd be better off with a used Merc as the swap will be easier. I doubt your trade in is worth anything.

Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about the transom issue. How big of a deal is it if the bolt holes don't match up? Does that mean a whole new transom? If so---how much does that run. Any other Western New Yorkers have any advice out there?

Pyson - sorry I can't help you out. If it was me I would just go to several trusted dealers and see what they have to offer. Remember you probably will need their assistance from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by pyson View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I never thought about the transom issue. How big of a deal is it if the bolt holes don't match up? Does that mean a whole new transom? If so---how much does that run.
    There's a couple different ways to plug the holes, but I'd still suggest sticking to Merc as depending on what one/yr you get your guages and controls might work. Most dealers should be able to tell if yours will work if they are selling and doing the set-up for you.

A friend of mine has a Sylvan 20' open bow with a cracked engine block. He doesn't know if he should junk it, peice it out,or sell it as is for a fair price. any ideas ?

What is the power plant i would think he should be able to put a used one in pretty easily. What year is the boat and what shape is it in. Those would be deciding factors to me.

Its a1985, 120hp i/o he is looking into replaceing the motor . the boat is in nice shape for the age. If not he will sell as is . Not sure what he will do yet. thanks.

I know a guy who would do the swap, if he does go that route he would be reasonable with price i am sure. If boat is in good shape its def worth the new engine i would think

I guess he is giong to put a motor in it as of now. but that may change ! lol