spring isn't coming fast enough spring isn't coming fast enough spring isn't coming fast enough spring isn't coming fast enough
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas to all! Be safe have a good time, I hope Santa brings you everything that you need and want!

Post Thanks / Like

I use a rudder once in a while. Depends on several things but I feel the main reason you get line twist is the snap swivel you are using. You need a real good ball bearing snap swivel, I personally use a #2 (55# rated) Torpedo ball bearing snap swivel, or equivelant. If they are not at least a dollar a piece dont buy them. Sometimes the line twist is unavoidable and it has a lot to do with underwater currents, especially with leadcore with real long leaders (60 Foot or greater). This is where a rudder comes into play, tie a 4' florocarbon leader and put the rudder on the front of the leader and again use a good ballbearing snap swivel at the harness and in front of the rudder.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishkiller - do you use a metal rudder? or a plastic? Cabalas only has the plastic type. At last the last time I looked that's the only type that they had. Your explaination about LINE TWIST is interesting. You are relating it to the harness. Sometimes when I'm using a Dippsy Diver, I've found that after having it out there for a while I will go to check it and found that it doesn't release. After a while I'll get it up to the boat and see that it's twisted around itself?? I believe that I let it out slow enough. Do you think that I let it out too far? And that caused the twist? Could it be the currents down there? Maybe the fish are twisting it. They can be playful at times.

Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced the same capt I think letting the dipsy out to fast gets me.I am going to try 3 way swivel behind my dipsys this year with stick on bottom and harness above just to make it more interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.walleyeweb.com/tipstricks...nglakeerie.asp ... here is a link to some rigging I am sure you all have seen but I shared it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the plastic rudders. The Dipsys will twist if they are let out too fast, currents, or by taking a turn too hard and putting slack in the line, then they start to"flutter" on their way down and twist up on the momentum of the flutter as it twists around it self. Joe yes the line twist is usually caused by the harness especially with any thumper, long willow, or any magnum style blade. sometimes its unavoidable. unless you run a rudder. Another way to rig your Dipsy or Jet is attach your harness, spoon, or stick bait, let out your desired line length then attach your Jet or Dipsy by using an OR16 clip on a 2-4 ft lead (I like 7 strand coated wire instead of mono) I have tried this with a Jet and it works very well. Its similar to running a Torpedo Diver. Ok I'm done giving out the secrets....lol
    Last edited by fishkiller16; 12-26-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Everybody has great ideas and suggestions. I wish I could go and try them out right now. Oh yeah that's why this is - "Spring isn't comming fast enough" thread. [I]'ve been getting emails about the Toronto Boat Show. I've gone there before just to walk around, see new shinney boats, touch them, walk on them. They flood the ice rink and have boats floating around. It beats the Winter Blues. After you walk out of the exposition center you then get hit with reality again.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishkiller I like your rigging I would think it may make the lightest bight more easily seen as the line runs straight to bait. I am up to try anything new, sat I am off to gander to add to my gear I am setting up for lead core is there a better rod for lead? Plus I am setting my inline boards with tattle flags my guys can't see the bite unless they slam them. You would think after a few years they would catch on be it in rigging, boat control or seeing the bite. Rods can pop on the rigger and the ask is that one lol. Should start a thread on some of the more interesting experiences that have occurred sure it could give up some laughs.

Post Thanks / Like

bailey my favorite setup for lead is a okuma classic 300 level wind reel and a 9ft uglystik BWD light action rod i have 6 of this exact setup 4-10 color and 2-5 color im gonna set up 2 more with 7 colors this spring. i use 100 yds of 20lb berkley big game as backer, then your lead (27lb), then 60-80 feet of 14-17lb florocarbon leader. (i use such a long leader so as you start to trim it down you dont have to constantly tie a new leader.)
    Last edited by fishkiller16; 12-28-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bailey i dont use inlines i cant stand them i only use big boards. i however do have 2 sets on the boat i will use them once in a while to get an extra rod out in between the boat and the big boards especialy in ohio when running stickbaits. the tattle flags do help very much.