how is fishing in buffalo how is fishing in buffalo how is fishing in buffalo how is fishing in buffalo
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 164 of 465 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 4646
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah yeah I forgot to mention this Sunday when I posted. But my 3d blades were all flaking color off. Brand new just purchased blades came up with no paint left on them at all. Just a nickel blade. We had to go by bead color to remember what color the blades were. Strange. I've never had that problem from a 3d harness before

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thanks for the advice. I haven't put a rigger or a dipsy down yet. Been trying to hook up on the lighter gear with in line weights, husky jerks, small jets and stuff. This is my second year out of my current boat and it's rigged with a kicker and a troll master so i might be crawling too slowly just because I can. It could be time to start moving a bit quicker and covering more water. I used to only be able to get as slow as 2.4 SOG and always caught fish, and now I can basically go as slow as I want but I might be in dead water too long. Thanks again, I'll change up some gear for the next trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Speeds are 1.8-2.3. Hell their were guys passing me trolling that were constantly hooking fish

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I finally caught my first walleye on Wednesday night. I just got my boat and I'm still learning. I was fishing early evening behind the windmills 30-38 FOW. I was running a double blade harness with #5 Colorado blades, chartreuse red eyes. I had this rigged to a 8' leader off a 3 oz. bottom bouncer. Trolling 0.8-1.5 with 120 ft. of line out.

Can anyone spot an error to my technique?
    I have been fishing there for 3-4 weeks, and just got my first.
    I have been using single #3 blades, and just switched it up, and it worked.
    I thought 2x #5 would be way too much.

Any questions or comments would be appreciated!!!
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I would shorten up your leader length to the bottom bouncer. Way to long in my opinion. Try half that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by overthelimit View Post
    I would shorten up your leader length to the bottom bouncer. Way to long in my opinion. Try half that.
    Well at my speed, weight of bottom bouncer, and turbulence of the harness, I was creating about a 20* angle from the pole to the water. With 120' of line I should be about 41' down from tip of the pole to the lure.
    So if the tip is 6' above water, this should put the lure at about 35 FOW.

Is this not correct?
    My initial drop of line is about 45' to the bottom, then it drifts up again, I drop it to about 65, drifts up again, then about 85, and so on till about 120.
    Last edited by FISHNCARS; 06-14-2013 at 12:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had 65-75 feet of line out in the same fow I was taping bottom I use 30lb fireline tolling the same speed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glassyeyes View Post
    Personally i use anywhere between 3/4 -2 1/2 ounce weight depending on wind, also depending on type of blade and where the walleye are relating to the bottom is the length of my leader anywhere from a ft. to 5ft. I have alot better luck with smaller blades while bouncing.

you may get better advice from some of the other guys though, i have learned a lot from them just reading through old stuff... some good guys on here who know what they are talking about.
    Lineman and Glassyeyes ... Thanks for the Info!! ... Worked out nice on Wed Night.... Couple of eaters off the WIndmills with about a 4ft lead .. Trying again tonight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FISHNCARS View Post
    Well at my speed, weight of bottom bouncer, and turbulence of the harness, I was creating about a 20* angle from the pole to the water. With 120' of line I should be about 41' down from tip of the pole to the lure.
    So if the tip is 6' above water, this should put the lure at about 35 FOW.

Is this not correct?
    My initial drop of line is about 45' to the bottom, then it drifts up again, I drop it to about 65, drifts up again, then about 85, and so on till about 120.
    I think he ment from harness to weight should be half that. (4ft). Line out will depend on line diameter, speed, depth desired. When dragging harnesses like that usually going just fast enough to turn the blades and keeping contact with the bottom is the ticket. Try around Seneca shoal and between there and Meyers reef. The departure buoy to Seneca shoal should be getting good now too.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant shorten the leader from bouncer to harness. An 8 foot leader is likely dragging bottom if your tapping it with the bouncer. You want your presentation just above the fish as eyes come up for their prey.