Perch Bite Perch Bite Perch Bite Perch Bite
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perch Bite

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch Bite

We are doing pretty good off Sturgeon Pt. and I'm hearing good reports from Buffalo area around Seneca Shoal, and near the Departure Bouy.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you launching out of? Sturgeon P. isn't open. Or are you sneaking out? Good to hear of some good reports. This weather sucks - it's good all week and then it's bad all weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

We have been launching at Small Boat Harbor and making the run up to Sturgeon Pt. when needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Sturgeon is supposed to open on the 20th.

Post Thanks / Like

Good reports form out of the catt., straight out from the white wall.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Went out Sunday

I went out Sunday and found about 50 boats all grouped together catching perch left and right. Location was just North of Seneca Shoal--in 45-55 feet of water--I think it might have been a sand bar.

Anyway, we pulled in and rigged up drop shot rigs and perch rigs with golden shiners and caught about 10 keepers and 15 total over 2 + hours. Unfortunately for us the other boats where pulling them in hand over fist the whole time!

I think we were using the same set ups---the only thing I can guess is that they were all using emerald shiners. Any ideas out there on the reason for the disparity?

If it was the emeralds--how and where can you get them? I did have some salted ones--and tried them but had no real luck with them.

Thanks!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Salted minnow(Emeralds) work great. been using them for years. same ones from three years ago. you can dip them with a long handled trout net in Dunkirk Harbor, Niawanda Park in Tonawanda, numerous places but check with the regs before you go. I salted mine right on the river.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to a couple of guys today that fished out of buffalo between the Departure Bouy and Seneca Shoal This morning (5/25) 1 boat had 1 guy he was limited by 9:00am and the other boat had 3 guys limited by 11:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyson View Post
    I went out Sunday and found about 50 boats all grouped together catching perch left and right. Location was just North of Seneca Shoal--in 45-55 feet of water--I think it might have been a sand bar.

Anyway, we pulled in and rigged up drop shot rigs and perch rigs with golden shiners and caught about 10 keepers and 15 total over 2 + hours. Unfortunately for us the other boats where pulling them in hand over fist the whole time!
    I think we were using the same set ups---the only thing I can guess is that they were all using emerald shiners. Any ideas out there on the reason for the disparity?

If it was the emeralds--how and where can you get them? I did have some salted ones--and tried them but had no real luck with them.

Thanks!

Matt
    Matt go to the Foot of Ferry after you launch with a dip net and you will get all the emralds you need.....BUT becareful the current is real strong there and you need to be close to the wall. So have at least 1 other guy with you and do not take your hand off the throttle good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Ran across a guy coming in from senca schoal on my way out last night. He picked up a few perch out there on the western end. Emeralds.