Sturgeon Point 8-7-09 Sturgeon Point 8-7-09 Sturgeon Point 8-7-09 Sturgeon Point 8-7-09

Default Sturgeon Point 8-7-09

Went out Fri. morning at about 7:30 am. The wind was coming from the north and there were white caps. Many people turned away and decided not to go out. We left the harbor and went towards Point Abino. Started trolling towards the US / Canada line saw a few fish on the graph but not any large numbers. Had trouble with the trolling motor holding a correct speed so we decided to troll south with the waves. We picked up one walleye about 26" off a large dipsy with no ring using a worm harness (home made) it had dark spinner blades # 3 setting on the dipsy. That was the only fish we caught. Had a few other hits but no fish. Finished fishing around 12:30 pm.

Hi there. New to this "dipsey" fishing for walleyes. What do you mean when you say no ring?

Default rings

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Komo View Post
    Hi there. New to this "dipsey" fishing for walleyes. What do you mean when you say no ring?
    there are rings you can add to the dipsey to make it go deeper that is what they mean when they say no ring there is no extra ring

hardly ever use the ring. wire line set on 3 130 back your down about 35 to 40 feet. hope this helps
    glowgetter

23 foot trophy

Most of the time I run it a little farther out 140, 160 and sometimes 180. I'm not saying this is good but sometimes ( except for this year ) it works. Although sometimes when I bring it up to check the bait I find that I can't release the dipsy and find the line tangled around it. I think that I let the line out too fast? Or maybe it's looping ( doing a circle )? This depends on the size of the dipsy and conditions.

What about those jet divers? They seem interesting. Not sure if they will get that deep though.

I use jet divers sometimes off the planer boards and sometimes I long line them streight off the transom. They are marked with a # on the rounded nose portion of the jet diver. Sometimes it's hard to see but it's there. That equals to the depth that they will run at with a given speed. We sometimes put a in line lead weight in front of them to get them down a little farther. I'm not exactly sure how deep we are but sometimes it works?

Default diving depths for divers

Just browsing and ran across this thread and thought this might help some.
    Wakina
    http://www.straitlineanglers.com/Art...ng_Planers.htm

Good info. Thank you!