Rod question Rod question Rod question Rod question

Thread: Rod question

Default Rod question

New member so I apologize if this is not the correct forum. I fish Lake Erie for walleye and perch and dont mind the fun bass!

I have several Ugly Stick and Pflueger spinning rods. I mostly would cast and jig but last season I started trolling. I still love my spinning combos but to troll for walleye this year I was debating between a couple different combos. All are trolling rods with line counting reels but I have a couple questions...

I was debating between the Okuma great lakes trolling combo, the Ugly Stick Walleye combo and the Ugly Stick Bigwater combo 8'3".

What struck me as odd was the 'power' on the Bigwater rod was light, different than the others which are medium/light to heavy. What's up with that? Then the Ugly Stick Walleye rod is medium/light. My regular spinning rods are all medium and the bend they give are more that enough, especially trying to troll crankbaits lol.

You guys have any thoughts on this?

I use okuma blue diamond and classic pro 8ft rods with convector reels with 30 lb braid I toll with dipseys jet divers bottom bounce and long line with these set ups it works for me,when i bass fishing and night time walleye fish I use all-star rods with Pflueger reels
    jeff

Buy a good quality rod from a reputable manufacturer and you can't go wrong. I have had 8 Daiwa Strike SK-786 rods in 8 1/2 feet long for 35 years and still use them today. I did break one of them some 5 years ago and went looking to buy the same one for a replacement - however, they no longer make them. The reason it broke was my fault - was using a #1 Dipsey on a wavy day and the surge coming down a wave applied enough pressure to break it. Since then I use 10 foot Shakespeare Ugly Stik Dipsy Rod for fishing the #! And #3 Magnum Dipsey's. Use the old rods with the 0 size. About 4 years ago I added lead core to my arsenal of techniques and went with the longer Ugly Stik downrigger rods.