First time fishing Erie First time fishing Erie First time fishing Erie First time fishing Erie
    dixonab Guest

Default First time fishing Erie

Hello,

I routinely fish in the Kawarthas, but the first weekend in May myself and my good bud will be fishing near Port Colborne. He has a nice 17' fishing boat that we will be using.

Anyone have any advice for spots we could hit? Obviously we're looking for Walleye, but honestly I'd settle for just some good fights, whether it's Pike, Walleye, whatever.

Also, what kind of bait/tackle is best for walleye here? At my 'home' lake (Pigeon Lake), I seem to do the best walleye fishing simply with worms at dusk. I don't think I'll be doing any dusk fishing that weekend, but you never know.

Thanks very much for any help you can provide.

dixonab Guest

nobody has any advice?

JMSWNY Guest

Default Here you go!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dixonab View Post
    nobody has any advice?
    Troll slow (1-1.5mph) along shore at night after opener in May. I start at Ford plant and go southwest slow and watch the rocks. After water is 60 dgress go deeper 45 fow+. Worm harnes with leadcore line. Dipsy divers with rainbow challenger lures work well. when water is 70+ degrees go deeper and faster (around 2mph) 60 fow+ 80 fow 75degrees A1 fishing, stop and start once in a while, watch the hit. fresh big worms!!!

Later
    JMS

Default Port Colborne Walleye

Quote Originally Posted by dixonab View Post
    nobody has any advice?
    I know that Lake Erie walleye fishermen get a bad rap for not telling info. on the walleye catch out on the lake. Well if anyone wants to know about fishing the lake give me an email and I will try to help you out the best I can. I've fished lake Erie with my father and friends for over 25 yrs and we have done well on our catch. Last year we went in 6 tournaments, placed in the top 10 in 5 tourn., placed in the top 5 in 4 tourn. and won one tourn. All I can say is that there are a lot of walleye out in that lake, and in the 6 tourn. we fished, we caught over 230 walleye. Pay attention to the fish finder, make sure you save every time you catch a fish and record what you were doing!

Good fishing!

dixonab Guest

Thanks very much JMS