kicker motor kicker motor kicker motor kicker motor
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: kicker motor

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hamburg ny
    Posts
    593

    Default kicker motor

    im setting up a new boat was wondering what guys do for kicker motors use helm controls or tiller controls
    remote controls (troll master) connect it to main motor to steer I never had a kicker just looking for some info thx
    jeff

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Lancaster, NY
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Jeff,
    I use a tie rod from my kicker to my main outboard. Steer the main engine to steer both. Works fine for me.

    Chris

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Nwi
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I think they're are alot of people like myself that set the kicker for straight propulsion only, generating about 70% of required propulsion. The remaining 30% is provided by a bow mount gps trolling motor. That way you never have to tie into your main motor to steer. The boat is steered by the trolling motor. You can lock it on a course and concentrate on fishing. Also use a remote kicker throttle control to really dial in on your speed in tenth of a mile increments. Really a beautiful system.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Mansfield Ohio
    Posts
    629

    Default

    I dont have all the fancy stuff but would love a bow mount GPS unit.

    Mine is old school 2 stroke, tiebar to main. Till to control speed.

    I get my fish as well as anyone else when I get the time. If I need to I can adjust steering out back while fighting fish.

    I can change speed by just moving around the boat. Move for and aft to change speeds a few tenths
    First mate for Eyehunter Charters

    Eyehunter Charters
    614-327-7144
    http://www.eyehuntercharters.com
    http://www.facebook.com/EyehunterCharters

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hamburg ny
    Posts
    593

    Default

    thx guys for the info picking up the new boat today gonna see what the dealer has
    jeff

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Hi Jeff. Sorry for the late reply but I have had them all. Tie rod, Troll Master with remote, and now I have the 225 verado tied to the 15 hp merc with a stationary rod. I have a module on the big engine so when I'm trolling with the small kicker the power steering works on the big engine to steer. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. With the set up now it runs the battery down pretty fast and I have to start up the big engine to charge the batteries. The Troll master with remote was good but the steering arm extended past the side of the boat and i always had to watch so it wouldn't catch the dock or something else. With the tie rod the problem was that sometimes it would get out of adjustment and depending on the set up you had to lean out over the boar to readjust. If your big engine steers easy when it's not running then I would probably go with the tie rod.
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hamburg ny
    Posts
    593

    Default

    went with a merc 9.9pro kicker with troll master and remote thx again
    jeff

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Milt - I sent you a PM
    Current flotation devices:
    2101 Seaswirl Striper
    Kawasaki jet ski
    Old Town Kayaks
    Wind Surfer
    Constructed prams

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hamburg ny
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captainjoe View Post
    Milt - I sent you a PM
    I got it joe thx I also replied


Similar Threads

  1. kicker motor
    By rollin-n-trollin in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2012, 08:47 PM
  2. WTB kicker motor
    By Justin in forum The Walleye MARKETPLACE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
  3. WTB kicker motor mount
    By kodiak50 in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 05:15 AM
  4. Kicker motor
    By bdrieck in forum Western Lake Erie Fishing REPORTS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2011, 05:41 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •