Spoons for walleye Spoons for walleye Spoons for walleye Spoons for walleye

Default Spoons for walleye

I have been thinking about running spoons in my walleye spread. I have never run spoons before and I have a few questions.
    1. Can spoons be run in a setup with rapalas and harnesses, or do they require different speeds?
    2. What kind of spoons, brand and color if you don't mind sharing, do you have success with?
    3. Last, do you tip them with worms or anything like that?

Like I said, I have never run spoons so any information would be much appreciated. The only reason I'm thinking about this is because I have heard some people who kill the walleye with spoons. But, this may be irrelevant because I have never caught a walleye on a renosky even though so.many people praise them, I have always had better luck with rapalas.
    Thanks in advance for any info, all I have now are salmon spoons which don't seem to work at slow speeds.
    Last edited by pawlajam000; 07-06-2016 at 10:16 PM.

1. you have to look for spoons that run at the speeds you intend to run at...... If you're running harnesses at 1.5, an NK28 isn't going to work. But to answer your question yes, spoons can be run with other baits. The need to be the right spoons though.
    2. at slower speeds, I've had luck with Michigan Stinger scorpions in confusion, perch patterns, blueberry muffin, and chrome blues....... at slightly higher speeds, super slims work in the same colors. This year I've mixed in some Hybrid lures walleye spoons, and am liking them so far. hybridlures.simdif.com Nick is a very nice guy and puts out a good product.
    3. I don't tip them. These are pretty light spoons. Not to say that it wouldn't work, just that I have never experimented......... with worms.

For whatever reason, I do better with these small spoons behind wire divers.....

I'm not pounding fish this year...... struggling like a bunch of others...... but these spoons have produced in prior years.

I mix spoons and harnesses at speeds of 1.8 to 2.0 and they seem to work well. I tried scorpion spoons but the paint kept coming off. I switched to small spoons from galeforcetackle.com and they work great and the paint stays on. I don't tip my spoons with anything.

Thanks for the tips, I think I will look into the scorpion spoons because they seem to be the most popular, but I will look into other brands as well

Quote Originally Posted by pawlajam000 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, I think I will look into the scorpion spoons because they seem to be the most popular, but I will look into other brands as well
    I've done very well at times on Luhr Jensen shoehorn spoons. Don't think this spoon is well known in this area. Spoon has an Oblong split ring hole which enhances side to side action.

http://www.johnnyspond.com/luhr-jens...orn-spoon.html

Warrior Lures...Little Warrior Flutter Spoons. Many colors and the backside finish you want(copper,silver,gold). Also there blades are very nice too.

I actually have some magnum shoehorn spoons for salmon, never had much luck with them for salmon. I honestly didn't know they made smaller ones.

Quote Originally Posted by pawlajam000 View Post
    I actually have some magnum shoehorn spoons for salmon, never had much luck with them for salmon. I honestly didn't know they made smaller ones.
    I use the small shoehorn spoons and have caught a lot of walleyes on them. Also like greenhead says, little warrior flutter spoons, I like the Goby brown color with copper on the underside these are the only two kinds of spoons I've used. Picked up a Hi-tec spoon from the walleye club grab bag box, same pattern as their black and purple harness, looks like a good one.