Conversation Between eyeassassin and skipper9

7 Visitor Messages

1. right now the boat i have is not for chartering i have an 18 1/2 ft super deep v with an 85 hp evinrude it is older but it works for me. i am going to sell it this winter to put a down payment on a charter worthy boat. when i start i plan to do the western basin in spring then move east, by summer out of Erie Pa and probably stay there through fall for the eyes perch and steelhead. I will hopefully be up with some of my buddies the first or second weekend in june. do you think the eyes will still be in the area or should i go east for them. i do ,ive in pittsburgh so it is a good drive. i have fished a good couple times with lucky penny charters up there and in the east. but the help you are giving me is top notch. so hopefully i will be up there soon and be able to net a few and show some of my buddies what real walleye fishing is all about
  2. What kind of boat do you have.. what area do you plan of chartering in.. u live in pa right? Make sure when you get up my way we get achance to do some fun fishing, net dipping
  3. i see. yea i plan to charter about 3 days a week just to start and find something to do for the others. thanks for your advice and hopefully by next spring i will be a capt and able to help ppl out like you do
  4. What I would do is just first mate or charter on your days off untill you can make it a full time job.. I work three jobs.. I own the boat.(paid for) I own a semi (paid for) and a small beef farm(not paid for) depending on the weather I do one of the three to pay the bills.. I only suggest first mate job so they you can learn from many captains on how to catch fish in all conditions to make you good at your job.
  5. that sounds good but let me ask you what kind of money would a first mate make. i have a 5yr old son and a fiance at home so i wouldnt be able to take to much of a hit. i really want to be a charter captain and i know it will be hard for the first couple years (i hope that is all its hard for).
  6. Here is my first advice.. Call Lake erie charter boat assoc.. Join them and join the drug program.. Get your card.. Now your a first mate.. Call every captain you can find and go out with them.. Tell them they can keep your tip money.. You just want to learn.. learn everybodys style..
  7. hey capt jim i am taking my captains license test this fall and am going to try to start a charter business. i am looking for any advice you may have for a person like me. some ppl say i am to young being that i am 26. fishing is my passion and if i can turn my passion into a career than that would be awesome. i follow most of your post on here trying to pick up what i can, thanks for posting and sharing tips and tricks that says alot about you as a captain
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7