Bleeding fish question Bleeding fish question Bleeding fish question Bleeding fish question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bleeding fish question

I've started bleeding the fish before tossing them in on the ice. Have a look at the picture, plate on right was bleed out and the left not bleed. You can see the right is much brighter white.

My question pertains around the mess inside my boat now that I bleed them out. I've been cutting them and turning upside down in a 5 gal bucket. Does anyone use a stringer and throw them over board? Can you explain your process??
    Thanks
    20' Sea Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of guys using a one fish stringer made from a big, sharpen "D" clip, and/or using the live well. I made one of the one-fish stringers, just haven't found any eyes out of Lorain for a few weeks!

Post Thanks / Like

We didn't use the bucket today. Instead we used the dock rope with the loop on the end and ran it through the gills. Them tossed them over for 10 mins or so, them on ice. Worked pretty good but still can be improved on.

I think I will look around and try to make a heavy duty stringer with carabiner or something so I can just clip it on the side rail quickly.
    20' Sea Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Default stringer

I've been using a 1/16 in. steel cable with plastic coating, has a float on the end, connects on the boat rail with large aluminum spring snap hook. works very well no mess in the boat. I only drag 3 or 4 bleeding fish at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default bleeding fish

maybe just try throwing some water in the cooler and cutting them as soon as you catch them then throw them in the cooler. yea you will have a bunch of red water in the cooler but your cooler will also be nice and clean. then when you get done fishing dump the water and put them on ice. might be more hassle than its worth just seems easier than carrying all that extra stuff like bucket or stringer things like this, I mean you are already taking a cooler. just a thought, I've used buckets, the big cable stringers and live wells, each works just fine, but there are days its hard enough to get them eyes in the boat the last thing I wanna do is hang them over the side of the boat lol...

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE there are days its hard enough to get them eyes in the boat the last thing I wanna do is hang them over the side of the boat lol...[/QUOTE]

I hear ya 205

I'm worried about the same thing, so-far-so good we haven't lost one yet. Which ever way a person decides to bleed them, I'm convinced it makes a big difference.
    Thanks for the idea.
    20' Sea Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I use a metal dog leash. Has an o ring on one side and a clip on the other. Put it through the gills through th o ring and then wrap it around cleat. Never have worried about them coming off. I've put as many as six on a chain. Leave them in for 5 minutes or so and then on ice. Very little mess in cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skinny5382 View Post
    I've started bleeding the fish before tossing them in on the ice. Have a look at the picture, plate on right was bleed out and the left not bleed. You can see the right is much brighter white.

My question pertains around the mess inside my boat now that I bleed them out. I've been cutting them and turning upside down in a 5 gal bucket. Does anyone use a stringer and throw them over board? Can you explain your process??
    Thanks
    This is how we do it. No mess at all, my dad is obsessed with keeping blood out of the boat! We aren't even allow to bring the fish past the bench seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGhaGwGPg4

Post Thanks / Like

Woodsman, Thanks for the video - nice. We've been using a knife so far but after seeing how easy the clippers are- you can bet we will be switching.
    20' Sea Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skinny5382 View Post
    Woodsman, Thanks for the video - nice. We've been using a knife so far but after seeing how easy the clippers are- you can bet we will be switching.
    Glad you liked it!