Geneva Geneva Geneva Geneva

Thread: Geneva

1. Default Geneva

I am new to trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. Have trolled for salmon for a number of years on Lake Ontario.

Will probably fish out of Geneva later in the season. Would Jet Divers work well off the planer boards? Or am I best to use lead core line?

Thanks for your help.

Default Geneva

Jets and the big boards work great up here. They say you can use the lead core with boards but I havent done that yet. The best seem to be the 50 Tru-trip jets but 40's work well also.

Quote Originally Posted by pittsburghfishing View Post
    I am new to trolling for walleye on Lake Erie. Have trolled for salmon for a number of years on Lake Ontario.

Will probably fish out of Geneva later in the season. Would Jet Divers work well off the planer boards? Or am I best to use lead core line?

Thanks for your help.
    40 and 50 size jets used as 40 first, then as the fish go deeper use the 50s. Then turn over to wire line with large diving stickbaits back 300-350 on wire line.
    Dipseys with spoons #1 (Luhrs Jen ) back 110 to 120 and #3 back 170-180. Geneva (central basin) action start late June some years, but I pick mid July through Labor Day for walleye. The wire line is single strand 10 pound.
    Copper line is used by some guys also. If you like worm harnesses for trolling they are used sometimes also behind the jets
    Water depth is in the 70 ft range with walleye holding 45-52
    We move one boat to Geneva for July and August for walleye trolling
    Last edited by gregnwtf; 03-24-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

another good option is the inline weights from rednekoutfitters.com. I went out on a charter 2 yrs ago and he ran 3 boards off each side with the 2 oz weights out 135' and we was catching fish that we was marking at 45' to 55'. he also ran 1 dipsy off each side that caught fish. I like running the lite bite slide divers and run 3 off each side. then if I need more lines I have 2 downriggers and I have 2 outriggers that I run 15# braid with the small dipsy and run them out 300' to 400'. some days the outriggers don't do so good but most days they catch fish. we fish the middle of July.

5. Default

Thank you for the info guys.....

Keep your eye on this site, the guys here are great and don’t mind helping us newbies. When the action starts in the central some of the Captains get pretty busy running their boats but will keep you posted.

Sherman and gregnwtf are spot on with timing and technical advice.
    I don’t have boards yet but run 2 Dipsy’s each side with down riggers for extra lines. Dipsy’s with braid line to gregnwtf numbers took most our fish last year. (don’t forget the snubber) We had a few line breaks until we started using them.
    Good luck this year.
    20' Sea Ray

Default geneva

mid june now is perch as far as rigs I use boards with dips yes dips or jets ill use wire but no lead core down rigger and will even run a flat out as far as 375 to 425 with a 3 way and harness use early in season when the water is cooler then spoons in july on when speed picks up speed around 1.2 to 1.5mph then will pick up speed as much as 2.5 even went 2.8 even got fish at 3.1mph I run a twin screw 29ft with a fly bridge and get the 350 chevy v8 to go at 1.2mph I just run 1screw at a time trolling and as a word of advice lock the other screw into a gear as to stop free spin you can run the trans dry on a seal keep looking grumpy out on 68