Silver Bullets aren't Walleye Silver Bullets aren't Walleye Silver Bullets aren't Walleye Silver Bullets aren't Walleye

Default Silver Bullets aren't Walleye

Where are the walleye? No reports so I thought I'd make a little noise. With the lake so rough for so long fish are hard to come by so if nothing more than an excuse to get out of the house I went to Conneaut this morning and snagged two steelhead in less than one hour in the shipping channel, 25" and 27". Much fun on ultralight tackle. A purple 2/5 oz Cleo and a 1/2 oz orange and gold KO Wobbler both back about 100', right in midchannel, one going north and one going south at 1.8-2.0 mph.

Very good. I'm hoping to be able to get up there this weekend and troll up a little chrome. We tried back in September but didn't have any luck.

Default Yesterday's action

Most fish were found around the lighthouse. Yellow with red spots on a 2/5 oz Cleo back 80'-100' saw most of the action. We had one monster hit on a yellow cleo with red diamond spots. The fish took off to the north peeling off 200' of 14 Lb XT Trilene in seconds in spite of our efforts. In the end we heard that sound like a 22 caliber rifle shot as the line separated from the spool leaving us empty handed and broken hearted. I hear Canada is lovely at this time of year.

Smile

Better results today. This time the big fish didn't get away. I used heavier tackle, a saltwater spinning outfit and 15 lb XT Trilene. The lure was the same, a yellow 2/5 oz Cleo painted with red dots by yours truly. The horse was just short of 28 inches and just under 9 lb. I also took a 22 inch female 300 yards south of the entrance to the harbor on the outside of the east wall. With the wind blowing out of the south at 21 mph with gusts, when the fish hit, I threw the boat in neutral and played the fish while rapidly drifting toward Canada. Being by myself today, I was done in less than an hour but the ride from Warren was worth it. If you want steelhead action, Conneaut is the place to go. Try it sometime.

With the wind forecast looking not so go (what else is new) my partner today Will Allen and I elected to go early so we hit the lighthouse around 7:15 AM and caught one 16 inch fresh steelie right in the middle of the entrance to the harbor. Going downstream from the turnaround with a hearty breeze at our backs we picked up 2 more really fresh shiney silver fish. The first measured 32" and 12.5 lb and the next was 26" and close to 7 lb. All were caught on 2/5 oz. Little Cleo in yellow with red dots back 80' to 100' on 12 lb. XT Trilene on 7'-8' spinning rods with Shiamano SideStab reels. Had to stop short to catch the OSU vs ILL football game if you could call it that. There are a ton of steelhead waiting to be taken at Conneaut so get that deer and get back to fishing.