How much time do we have ????? How much time do we have ????? How much time do we have ????? How much time do we have ?????
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

You are right. Running more than 2 dipseys on a side can cause problems. I run 2 on each side, outside poles are 8 1/2 ft with longer lead and 2 or 3 setting. Inside poles are 7 ft with 1 1/2 or 2 setting and shorter leads. I will usually run two downrigger rods but will switch to 3-4 oz bottom bouncers with SS line if the riggers are not producing. We use long handled nets and try to net every fish from in head on which is going with the flow for ease of handling. This is especially true with steelhead. They have no lateral mobility and will swim directly into the net. I have found thru the years that you will lose fewer fish with short leads off the dipseys. They should be no longer than the pole or the net you are using. Right now all my leads are 5 feet of 20 lb mono from dipsey to harness and I don't lose fish at the boat.
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 08-28-2013 at 03:23 PM. Reason: More text

Post Thanks / Like

That's some good information, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Tomorrow Afternoon

First full year running my own boat. Usually just me and my son. Miserable year for us, no walleye at all. Not ready for boards so I use 6 rods, 4 dipsy and 2 flatline with 3oz weights- typicaly deep reef runners. Try everything - spoons, harnesses etc.

Heading up tonight, live in Harrisburg and while perching is fun, burning a lot of gas for no 'eyes.

Is it worth installing a downrigger for fishing this weekend? I use them in Olcott, but not Erie.

Not looking to limit, just put a few in the boat before my son (15) takes up knitting instead...

Thanks - I fish out of Walnut.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shedidntno View Post
    I fish out of Walnut.
    We will be at the marina around 7:30 am Saturday. If your around I can show you our setup, its been pulling a few fish.
    20' Sea Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Are u running 800 series RR I been running them all year green flash and chrome and black doing the best been marking fish suspended around 40 back 300 feet no weight I'd say u would pick some up even flat lining them . Good luck hope the little guy catches some. Headnnorthwest out of walnut to 62 fow troll west , caught three man limit last weekend like that . Keep us posted

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks guys. I ran through every color of RR deep divers, even gator bait. Be out tomorrow afternoon and will check at Poor Richards too.

I do not have lead core, just 30# power pro. That is why I used the weight. Can I just flatline the braid at 300'?

I also run 2 large dipsies at 3 @ 135'; and 2 large dipsies at 1.5 @ 95'

we did hammer the white bass when we were up last- 3 weeks ago!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes u can flat a RR with braid at 300 will get u down about 36 if ur marking them and not getting hits start adding weight 1 oz at a time any purple RR working good too.good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Not much time on 'eyes - but same results. Enjoying the storm while I put lead core in a rod for s&gs- turned alarm off...

Thanks again for the advice. I'll stick with it.