dipseys dipseys dipseys dipseys

Thread: dipseys

Default dipseys

can any one tell the chart that comes with them is it realy close when it comes to how much line to let out

I think the chart is pretty close. I have brought zebra mussels up from 62 feet before.

Trick I read somewhere to check them was set out a known depth and troll towards shore watching your depth on the fish finder. Dipsy starts hitting bottom check the depth on finder.
    20' Sea Ray

I think it is pretty close as well. The chart in the precision trolling book shows them running a little shallower for the same amount of line out. But this weekend was hitting bottom a lot when using the book, so used the luhr jensen chart and seemed to get better results. Variance could be a multitude of things including underwater currents.

I was trying not to hit bottom so I did not lose things lost a brand new reef runner sat

the dipsey chart is based on a speed of 2.5 to 3mph, if you go slower it will dive deeper. If you make a sharp turn the inside dipsey will dive deeper, maybe 5 to 10 feet

We where going over fish that where 35 ft depth Saturday those perch or eye they where schooled up

the best way I know to get the right dive curve is to go to 50 ft of water and slowly let out line until you start bumping bottom. then divide 50 by how many 10 ft of line you let out that will give you how many ft dive you get for each 10 ft of line out.

I use the lite bite slide diver with 65 lb braid main line at 2.0 mph. I went out and set my diver on 4.5 and it took 185 ft of line out to hit bottom. so I devided 50 by 18.5 which gave me 2.7 ft down for each 10 ft of line out. then I just set my middle diver on 3 and let it out 20 ft less than my front rod then a 1.5 setting 20 ft less than my middle rod.

all you really need to know is the front rod. but you could set a dipsy on a 3 setting with 30 lb line and let it out until you bump bottom in 50 ft of water at whatever speed you usually go. then just take however many 10 ft of line you have out and divide 50 by that number. it will give you the dive curve for each 10 ft of line you let out. then set your next diver on a 2 setting 20 ft less then a 1 setting 20 ft less than the 2 setting.

so with my dive curve if I want to run say 65 ft deep I just divide 65 by 2.7 which gives me 24 which is 24 times 10 ft of line out or 240 ft will give me 64.8 ft down.

hope I haven't just confused you and hope this helps you get your correct dive curve for the line you use and your favorite speed. but this is the most accurate way to get the correct dive curve for your set up.
    sherman

Thanks sherman I will try it