Most productive program?? Most productive program?? Most productive program?? Most productive program??

View Poll Results: Most productive program??

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Downriggers

1 6.67%
  • Dipsy's

6 40.00%
  • Planer boards

5 33.33%
  • Combination

7 46.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Most productive program??

So my quandary continues, to invest in planer boards or not. Which of the three basic programs (downrigger, dipsy, or planer boards) works best for you? We fish 2 downriggers and 4 dipsy’s currently and on average days boat 4 or 5 fish. Not sure if boards will out produce the other 2 or not.
    Let me know where you would focus your attention if you could only use one program. Or maybe it’s a combo of all three.
    Thanks
    20' Sea Ray

Walleye are elusive and finicky so what works today might not work tomorrow.
    I have Super Ski boards and the mast and they are in storage because I find using the Church Walleye side planers so much easier. Most of my success right now is dragging Junior Thundersticks 130'-160' behind 50 TruTrips and 50 Jet Divers at 1.9 mph off those boards. Recently I have had some luck with Long A Bombers and DHJ 12's back 300+' on SS line. Downrigger action lately has been nonexistent except for junk fish and dipseys with pink worm harnesses will get a few. Good luck on your poll.

Thanks Doc for the info.
    I didn’t know you could pull TT’s behind inline planer boards. I have a couple inlines but quit using them due to zero action, but I was pulling RR’s .

Could you give a little more detail of your inline setup? Like which line used –Mono / Braid, how many boards per side can you run, how far away from boat can you get them?
    20' Sea Ray

I try to keep things simple. I run 2 Church Walleye boards off each side. My best lead is 160' back with Junior Thundersticks off 20# 6 foot leader off 50 TT or 50 Jet Divers. The first board is out 100'. The inside board is back about 80'. The trick is to have them running in tandom so if even the smallest junk fish gets on you will notice a pullback. Keep your speed under 2.2 mph and the boards will run just fine even in 5 footers. I use 20# Trilene XT on everything except the downrigger poles which are 7' graphite poles with Shimano 2000 Sidestab reels with 12# Trilene XT. I up those to 14# XT when fishing for steelies in Conneaut. I'll be off Geneva around 6 AM. If anyone is out, give me a call on Ch. 68 or 79.

my program is divers but I use lite bite slide divers. I use them just like a standard diver but really like the lite bite trigger so the diver will trip on those small junk fish. I just haven't been around the inline boards enough to feel comfortable using them. but I went out on a charter that used dipsy,s in the back of the boat then used 3 oz inline weights on inline boards and it was a very effective way to catch fish. the boards did out preform the divers but the divers did catch fish. so I say a combination of boards and divers is probably the best program. and I do use downriggers at times but they just don't seem to catch as many fish as boards and divers. but I only use them when I need to get more lines in the water.
    sherman

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I do use downriggers at times but they just don't seem to catch as many fish as boards and divers. sherman
    Thanks Sherm for the input, I appreciate you guys helping me figure all this out.
    The quote above, I hear from many many open water Erie trollers. Which tells me I’m doing something wrong, downriggers are pretty good producer for me. Maybe due to the long leads behind the ball. (Not sure).
    The charter you went out with, was that in the Central basin? I was wondering about the 3oz and how deep that would get ya.
    20' Sea Ray

Quote Originally Posted by skinny5382 View Post
    Thanks Sherm for the input, I appreciate you guys helping me figure all this out.
    The quote above, I hear from many many open water Erie trollers. Which tells me I’m doing something wrong, downriggers are pretty good producer for me. Maybe due to the long leads behind the ball. (Not sure).
    The charter you went out with, was that in the Central basin? I was wondering about the 3oz and how deep that would get ya.
    yea we were in the central basin. we were marking fish around 48 to 50 ft down and I believe he ran his inlines back 110 ft which I believe he said put him down about 42 ft but don't quote me on this. I am working on memory from last year and it don't work as good as it use to. and I think he was running his divers back 120 on a 3 and 90 on a 1 setting. but I was mostly trying to see if I wanted to switch to running boards. and I just didn't learn enough from the one trip so for now I am sticking to doing what I know best and running the divers and riggers when I need to get more lines in the water.

you can get a chart for dive depths and even order the inline weights from rednekoutfitters.com hope this helps.
    sherman
    Last edited by sherman51; 08-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.

In-line boards with Leadcore. That's been the hottest ticket for our gang this year. Lately, 6 to 89 colors the best at 1.6 to 2.0 MPH over ground. As far as how to use them...... Make sure you have enough backing material (Power Pro 30# or 30# mono) (Braid is best). Get them as far away from the boat as wind and waves give you. The farther, the better. 18# Leadcore is perfect for Lake Erie walleyes and can handle most Steelhead. We don't use Downriggers much for walleye. With the clear water, we believe that Dipsey's are a stealthier option. The key to in-line boards is the "Tattle" flag and its adjustment. You need to make sure the flag spring is sensitive enough to show when a small fish is on the bait. "READ" your boards. Any change in the way they line up ..... assume you have a fish or debris that is causing it. Either way, won't catch fish you want.
    Hope that helps.

I've not run my riggers in a few years. I use my boards that's for sure and I run dipsys. This year I started running jet divers with success. So I run all 3 programs when I am out. I'll run pending whose with me 9, 12, or 15 rods. I also run 5 color leadcore. I will also run deep divers and weight. I run a bunch of programs to see what takes fish then switch, just like my plugs, one side I may run renosky's and the other reef runners, bagleys, t-sticks, etc.