Easy walleye at Geneva Easy walleye at Geneva Easy walleye at Geneva Easy walleye at Geneva
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smile Easy walleye at Geneva

I thought long and hard about saying anything about the Geneva bite but I promised some of my followers that when I got it going I'd let them know. I really don't think the pros want the good news to leak out but someone has to break the ice. I hit the ramp at Geneva State Park a little after 7 AM this morning. I was about Number 12 in line to launch but with 6 ramps I was underway in no time. 8 miles NW to the 02W and the 58N. Hammered gold and BumbleBee gold Contender spoons back 54' off 50TT behind Church Walleye side planers at 1.9 mph trolling due east in 71 FOW. I was done at 9:20. Would have finished sooner but my bad netting technique lost a Fish Ohio at the boat. To quote a member of the "A" team, "I love it when a plan comes together". Next trip: Monday. Hope to see you out there. It's a big lake and more than enough walleye for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Ed View Post
    . Hammered gold and BumbleBee gold Contender spoons back 54' off 50TT behind Church Walleye side planers at 1.9 mph trolling due east in 71 FOW.

Dr.Ed please forgive my ignorance, but could you tell me what “50TT” means? I see this in other posted and I’m lost.
    Thanks
    20' Sea Ray

great jod and it is really good of you to share your info. we need more guys like you out there and on this forum. I am always willing to share my good fortune. we cant catch all the fish so why not share??
    Sherman

I could be wrong but I believe he is referring to tru trip 50,s

Those church boards, they full size planer boards or small boards? Must be full size to pull them 50tt yes?

Default Lure presentation

The secret to catching walleye is to get a bait into the strike zone. The shorter the distance between the fish and the net the better. Yesterday I chose TruTrip 50 divers because a lot of my captain friends are using them and I picked 54 feet for two reasons. That lead puts the spoons just above the suspended fish and the second reason might seem silly but I graduated from Avon Lake high school in the class of '54 so it's an easy number for me to remember. To get to the same depth with 40 JetDivers, you have to let out almost 125' of line. That's a much longer pull with more chances of losing the fish bringing it to the boat.
    The shortest distance between lure and net is off the downrigger. Next would be a 4 oz. bottom bouncer on wire line followed by a big dipsey on a "1" setting. Last would be long lines of mono or stainless steel line with and without in line sinkers.
    Last fall the only presentation that worked well was a LongA Bomber on SS line back 350 feet. It made for a long day.
    I've been fishing Erie since 1950. I don't have all the answers but if you have questions ask away. I'm good at making up answers. Ch. 68 tomorrow. Flash...a question just popped up. The Church board I use is not the smallest. It says Walleye Board on the face. I'm only running spoons off the 50TT and no faster than 2.1mph.
    Last edited by Dr.Ed; 06-16-2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Unhappy

Today I ran basically the same program as Saturday except I ran west to the 05W and 56N. Probably a big mistake. The marks were few and far between.
    It took a lot longer and my six fish came on six different spoons. 3 fish were just over 27 in. I'm now looking for a new hunting grounds where fish should come faster. If you killed them today, would you care to share???

hey Dr.Ed, I see you are using spoons there. I fish out of Buffalo and we use harnesses and sticks but not spoons, do you guys ever use harnesses? I am coming for a week starting Friday with my father, son and brother and want to make it a memorable trip so any tips would be appreciated. Mark

In the central basin of Lake Erie, the walleye are hitting on anything you put in front of them. Finding a good active school can be a problem. The info you get from this site should help a lot. In the past I always used harnesses behind Dipseys and behind bottom bouncers. Crankbaits were also effective. Today some captains are again using Long A Bombers out 300 feet on stainless steel line. Whatever works. Listen on Ch. 68 if you run out of Geneva State Park. It won't get more current than what you here from those talking. I'll be one of them and we share. Good luck.

thanks Dr Ed. We will be there friday with two boats, one a 16' aluminum and and a 25' home built cabin job. We'll be there for the week and maybe we can hookup with you and get some info. thanks again, Mark.

Be very careful with a 16' boat. Lake Erie can get angry in a hurry. Tune in the marine broadcast but take what they tell you with a grain of salt. I've been out there in 20 kt winds with 5-6 foot waves while they are saying 5-15 kt winds and waves 2 feet or less. That's the U.S. government in action. I'm
    planning to launch from the Geneva ramp on Friday at 6:30 AM. My boat, the
    Holly Lucas (Holly III) is a 201 ProLine WA with a blue stripe and blue bimini top flying the stars and stripes off the radio antenna. Ch. 68 to listen and talk.