Walleye Question Walleye Question Walleye Question Walleye Question
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye Question

Hey Guys, I am on the Canadian side of the lake straight across from Conneaught and have an early season walleye question.

How early do you start fishing them?
    What methods?
    Do you fish them on the ridge?

Ok I guess that was 3 questions. I have the perch figured out but need to learn the Pennsylvania Ridge better.

Thanks in advance

BD

Post Thanks / Like

Default early season

A normal season with ice. When the ice is finally gone in the spring. The guys who like to troll, getting to be more and more of them. Slow trolling lipped long stickbaits at a slow speed, under 1.5 usually. Prespawn walleye stage in the deeper water off the reefs, some suspended and some near the bottom.Sometimes you get some of the big females that wait for warmer water of the spawn during this troll time very early season. As the water warms near the shallow reefs and along the shore the males move in to get ready for the girls to come and lay eggs in the rocky areas.Once the water hits the high 30's this shallow water action gets going and the low 40's thru 50 degrees is the peak. Jigging early with minnows along the shallows and up on top of the reefs in the early stages through most of the spawn. Late April and early May we use plain jigs and follow the fish as they start to move out to the deeper water and the large reefs along the deep water and the first shelf break. Mid May brings sometimes has a lull stage for a week or so the the worm bite starts.
    During the spawn the walleye go into the main large rivers and all the rocky shore and every shallow reef area. The rivers is all jigging with some DRN rules apply to fishing times and methods in the rivers during spring.
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the reply. That sounds like the western basin. On our side in central lake we have no rocks or reefs to fish, I am straight across from Conneaught.

BD

Post Thanks / Like

Big Dave,
    I fish out of Conneaut. The weather/conditions in the western basin play a role since the effect the spawn, and hence when the spawn completes and the walleye start moving east. For walleye we generally start trolling in June, depending upon reports. We may start further west out of Geneva and Ashtabula. Some people in the area start as early as May. I'm sure there are wallye present in the spring, as not all spawn in the western basin, but I don't think the numbers are high enough to warrant trolling. We tend to just fish inland lakes in the spring.
    Another idea if you want to get some spring fishing, depending upon strain, steelhead should be coming out of the rivers. Not sure what kind of runs you get on your side of the lake, but may be an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Default central basin and west end reefs

Thats true that not all walleye spawn in the western basin. I have seen them caught along shorelines like Vermillion, Lorain and even Cleveland. The shoreline is rocky and has gravel and rock mix. That is only part of the makeup of a good spawn area. Alot of other factors make for good spawn. Sandusky, Maumee and Detroit rivers get alot of action for spawning. The western end holds many large shallow reefs that is prime spawning grounds. The islands have reefs and rocky areas the walleye go in to do their thing. Water temp is also warmer in the west and is also fed by the spring runoff of warm rain waters. Water warms first in the shallows and the walleye are drawn to that. The walleye spawn in the rivers first the about 2 weeks later the lake. The very peak walleye spawn water temp is 47 degrees. Yes the walleye do start moving east depending on how fast the water heats up and where they find ample food, but the west ends always holds a great supply of fish. The Maumee river holds walleye ALL YEAR, if you know when to go and where. The large rivers are moving and hold alot of food. Walleye tend to spawn in the same area year after year. Ohio DNR has been doing studies on this to see effects on the Sandusky river and the bay. So if you catch some walleye on Round Reef on say April 16th and the water temp is 46, and wind direction stay is light west. Try that same time frame next year based on similar conditions. Spring walleye relate to depth, Example. Start a drift in 12 ft. no fish, hit 13 ft, then you get a few fish, hit 14 ft and nothing. So hold 13 ft or anchor on 13 ft spot you caught some. Jig and a minnow.
    Ok, there is a short spring lesson. Good Luck
    Capt. Greg Hoyt
    419-890-2555 cell #
    Anchors Away Marina
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to exploring more of the Pennsylvania ridge this year and maybe zero in on the eyes there.

BD

Post Thanks / Like

Default PA walleye season opens May 4.

We usually have a night bite of walleye here due to all the steelhead and brown trout smolts (6-11") being stocked. Slow(0-0.5 kt.) trolling w/ stick baits is the preferred method. Keep everything on the surface as that is where the action is.

Cheers, Docwet

Post Thanks / Like

Default shoreline lorain

biggest walleye came from the rocks of lorain at night with manns loud mouth 12.2 lbs