Towing services Towing services Towing services Towing services
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing services

Default Towing services

Hope I don’t jinx myself but I’m seriously considering tow insurance this year. I have an older boat (73) that seems to run well, but one never knows at that age. I fish mostly out of Walnut. Would anyone have any recommendations on who to use.
    Thanks
    20' Sea Ray

Thumbs up towing

Skinny- No one wants to think about being towed but having piece of mind (just in case) is a lot better. I'm out of Geneva and have had ins. for 12 yrs. As luck would have it, I lost my outdrive last fall and had to call the tow truck. Never used them before but sure was glad I spent the$$. Was 6 miles out in 2-3's and they (Marine Assist) responded promptly and towed me back to the dock. Had 4 boats come to my aid after seeing distress flag (thanks guys) but none could tow. Don't leave home without it .
    Assassin

Default piece of mind

Assassin, Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Also good to hear so many fellow boater were concerned enough to come to your aid.

Last season was my 1st back from about a 15 year break, worried everytime out something might happen.
    What do you know about "Boat US"? I was just reading up on them, seems like a possible smart choice.
    20' Sea Ray

Cool Boat us

Let me tell ya first hand, Boat Us saved me tons. I had an engine throw a rod around the SE corner of Kelly's, I put in @ Mazurichs that morning , 7 miles away, called the 800 number they give ya and within 5 minutes got a call back, towboats on the way. Fella got there in 20 mins , came out of Sandusky, hooked us up to towline and away we went, got to Mazurichs, tied us off and I signed on the dotted line, cost, -0-, other than my yearly towing insurance, this year is 81.00. That tow would have cost 740.00, I saw the bill. They will cover 25 miles from your port. Will never be on Erie without it. Check em out, you'll be glad you did for the peace of mind of knowing if you need em, they will come, Mike

Oh yea, I have truck and boat trailer roadside assistance also for that price, they won't leave your boat setting on the road, it will get towed too.
    Last edited by fishin2; 02-02-2013 at 11:58 AM.

For sure have tow insurance. I have Boat US also and even though I havent needed it yet Im glad to know its there when I do. I didnt have tow insurance on my last boat and the one time it broke down was luckily only a few hundred feet from the ramp. I cant imagine the bill if it would have happened earlier when we were twenty miles out. For no more than it costs get it! You also get discounts at West Marine and a magazine
    Imperial 24' walk-around
    17' Mirrocraft
    Lowrance Global Map 7600 HD

i,ve been very blessed. i,ve had to be towed a couple of times. and had an oil leak and needed oil. i got towed by other fishermen and my son got someone to drop off oil to us.

but i now have boatus towing, but i have heard if you boat the central basin your better off with marine assist. i,ve heard marine assist will make you pay for the tow then you get a refund from boatus if thats what you have. but i wouldnt leave shore again on erie without some type of towing service.
    sherman

Sherman, I do boat out of the Central basin (Walnut). I see Boat US has a marina out of Erie, that would be about 15 mile to where I fish mostly. So maybe we will give them a try. I haven't heard or seen any local better choices.
    Thanks for the input.
    20' Sea Ray

I went with rescue marine . I like that I can go to there office and talk to them .I have never had to call them and hope I don't

Terms & Conditions

The Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Membership offers unlimited towing for boaters who permanently dock or trailer on Lake Erie from ports between Huron, Ohio and the Davis Besse/Green Cove area. For boaters who dock or trailer from that area towing is provided anywhere in Lake Erie, the Detroit River, Lake St. Clair, and the St. Clair River. Rescue Marine normally monitors marine channel 69 and 16 from 8am to 10pm. Before or after these hours we may be contacted by phone or by calling the nearest Coast Guard Station and have them call Rescue Marine at 419-798-5194.

The Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Membership offers unlimited non-emergency on-the-water towing for one boat twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week from May 1 through October 15 each year. Between October 15 and May 1 service may be provided weather permitting. Non-emergency situations can be defined as, but not limited to, dead battery, out of gas, or other mechanical problem. Rescue Marine will respond to members in need of salvage assistance but salvage is not covered by the Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Membership. Salvage situations can be defined as, but not limited to, boat groundings, boats on the rocks, boats sinking, boats already sunk, boats on fire, boats burnt, boats beached, or boats in any other form of peril. Fog search and other emergency services are available but not covered by the Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Membership.

Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Memberships are annual and last one calendar year. It is the sole judgment of Rescue Marine to provide towing assistance when winds at the nearest Coast Guard Station exceed twenty-five miles per hour, Gale Warnings are in effect, or if severe weather statements have been issued by the Coast Guard, National Weather Service, or Environment Canada. Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Memberships cover 50% or one-half of the cost of dock-to-dock tows. Rescue Marine is not responsible for unauthorized charges from other towing firms. Rescue Marine reserves the right to request a survey of any vessel built before 1985. There are no refunds. Rescue Marine reserves the right to delegate service in peak situations. Rescue Marine reserves the right to cancel and/or decline memberships. Rescue Marine Unlimited Towing Memberships become active twenty-four hours after payment is received. These terms and conditions can be changed from time to time without notice, check with our office. March 2008
    Last edited by empty hooks; 02-03-2013 at 07:50 PM.

wont leave home without my boat us tow insurance.

Default Call em

give Boat Us a call, 1-800-395-2628. Ask em all the pertinent questions you need answered. Tell em where ya are and what you expect, see if they offer what ya need. If you trailer your boat, get the roadside assistance, best 14.00 you'll ever spend,road tows cover 100 miles, pretty good huh. Mike