Quote Originally Posted by BAD KARMA View Post
i was wanting to try trolling for steelhead and have no idea were to start. can someone in the vermillion area let me know if i would be able to fish of the vermillion river area when they start staging for river run. and also what type of bait and depth would i look for. i have dipseys and troll big boards with jets in western area. i go to the bouy a couple times a year but have never caught one.
thanks joe
Most Steelhead are still far out in the lake and more to the East end. A few have been taken in the Ashtabula area.
Most fall steelhead staging should take place further east because more of those fish are fall run fish. The run on the Vermilion primarily takes place in March through the last of April. This because of a change in the strain of fish stocked from Londons (fall runners) to Manistee (spring runner). PA. still stocks fall run fish so more opportunity there. However there are still some fish that will run the V starting in mid October. Fish outside the break wall in about 15 to 20 ft of water using small spoons and minnow type lures.