Braid line knots Braid line knots Braid line knots Braid line knots
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Braid line knots

I have a question about braid line and the knots required. I’m going to switch out the Mono line I’ve been using on my Dipsy rods for braid. Do I need another knot, I’ve always used the wrap round 6 times and back thru the loop(not sure of the name). Will this work on braid?

I use a palomar. Never had a problem. I use it for everything.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php

Default palomar knot

Palomar knot is used by bass fisherman as it gives the most pulling strength per sq inch. A very strong and easy to tie knot. Watch the video, it is easy, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by skinny5382 View Post
    I have a question about braid line and the knots required. I’m going to switch out the Mono line I’ve been using on my Dipsy rods for braid. Do I need another knot, I’ve always used the wrap round 6 times and back thru the loop(not sure of the name). Will this work on braid?
    i think your talking about the clinch knot. i use the improved clinch knot. i wrap the line around about 8 times then go through the bottom loop then go back through the top loop then snug it all down. or you can do a google search for improved clinch knot. it all i ever use on mono, floro, or braid.
    sherman

[QUOTE=sherman51;24876]i think your talking about the clinch knot. /QUOTE]

Yep your right, I did a google and in fact I've been using the improved clinch knot. My Grandfather showed me this knot 35 yrs ago, I'm sure he told me the name but I forgot.
    So I guess any of the good knots will work, I was just wondering if braid needed another. Good to know a few different knots I guess.

I use the uni-knot/blood knot, never had a problem in over 30yrs.
    http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/uni-knot/
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I have had clinch knots come loose on hard hook sets before I knew how tie a Palomar on braid while bass fishing. Never had one come loose since changing to Palomar.

I have had clinch knots come loose while bass fishing on a hard hook set. I changed to a Palomar and have never had one come loose.

Skinny,
    When I first entered into the planner board trolling world with braided line I tied the typical clinch knot. I quickly noticed that on larger, harder pulling fish that I was losing them due to the knot coming undone. I was advised by more experienced troller’s to tie the palomar knot with braided line and I have had little to no trouble ever since.

I highly recommend using the palomar knot with braided line… (And it’s simple to tie!)

Tight Lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Buc-Eye View Post
    I highly recommend using the palomar knot with braided line… (And it’s simple to tie!)
    Palomar it is! Seems everyone likes this knot and I haven’t heard any stories of coming loose. I will need to practice up some; I’ve using the improved clinch so long. Old habits die hard.
    Did I ask what size I should be using? I want to pull Dipsy’s with braid to hopefully get down deeper. 20 lbs, 30lbs ? what do you guys use?