I'd Like to Introduce Myself I'd Like to Introduce Myself I'd Like to Introduce Myself I'd Like to Introduce Myself
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'd Like to Introduce Myself

Hi Folks.

My name is Capt.(Big) Dave Warnica. I run a perch charter off the south side of Long Point On. Perching has been incredible! I am not here to promote my business so enough said about it, I will however tell you of the success on perch.

I am looking to learn more of the area from our beach to the US border, we are pretty much straight across from Conneaught and fish the walleye different than you do. Your methods seem to produce more fish and I want to learn them. We use a lot of core and I hate it.

I may ask a lot of questions and not understand some of yor terminology so bear with me.

If any of you have any questions on our perch fishing feel free to ask.

The Ontario limit is 50/person and the fishery over here is unbelievable!

BD LP

Post Thanks / Like

Wrong column, sorry

BD

Post Thanks / Like

Default Reply to Big Dave, from south shore (Erie, PA)

You guys seem to have the better perch fishing on the north shore of Lake Erie.
    Around here, the way most people fish for walleyes is by trolling plugs or spoons on planer boards (which I don't use) with 2 or 3 oz. of lead ahead of the lure. Dipsey divers work well, but can be difficult for small fry to reel in. Solid monel wire (.011"d) was all the rage for awhile, but must be handled gently or is subject to breakoffs. Leadcore was never very popular because of its weight. The tried and true walleye rig for many years was the 3-way swivel, sinker and willow leaf spinner with nightcrawler (which still works quite well). Downriggers work but catch a lot of undesireables (sheepheads). Even diving plugs fished on a flat-line (no weight) catches some very big walleyes when they are near the surface. 8# mono catches more walleyes than 20#. One of my favorite rigs is 20# braided wire with med. dipsey diver and small sutton spoon 8 feet behind. We have 3 head boats that fish for perch ($ 30./ day for 5-6 hours) and some will make 2 trips a day.

Duane Doc Wetick, The Right Stuff
    Last edited by docwet; 09-05-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the repy, what depth does a 3oz sinker get to and how deep do you fish. I have fished eyes for years but never used a crawler harness,

I run a 23' ProLine for perch. My years total is 7960, my best single day is a 350 fish limit in 2.5hrs with 75lbs of clean fillets. I have only missed a limit 3 times this year,

BD LP

Post Thanks / Like

The depth you get with a 3 oz sinker and diving plug is totally speed and wind/wave dependent with the line test/ length being the third factor. Use of a line counter reel can give you a picture of where most of the fish are.

Your perch totals are way ahead of ours.

Docwet

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I may run out your way soon if this weather straightens out, I am out for oerch tomorrow.

BD LP