Spoon question Spoon question Spoon question Spoon question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoon question

Default Spoon question

Does anyone change out the standard spoon treble hooks for a single hook that lets the worm rotate? Do you even use worms?!! Hahah just some ideas I've been thinking about trying.

Thanks

I know some of the old timers used to put a single salmon hook on the back of spoons and sticks. The idea was that most the time the walleye will keep whacking at it until they get it... However the worm on the spoon idea I am not to sure about as it's going to mess up the action of the spoon. If you want to run meat..use harnesses or something else that's of inline configuration. Not something that has to have it's back end flopping around.
    Good luck....

I've had much better results with spoon harnesses this year compared to when running regular harnesses. Some days it's 10 to 1 spoon harness /regular harness. Even at .9 mph. Most guys who handline use a single hook spoon as it sangs much less floating weeds/debris etc.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default Ebijack question

Ebijack - did you make these harnesses yourself or buy them? I am looking to get some myself and like the look of these. Can you point me in the right direction please.

Bluecrew,
    I do not run crawler harnessess off my spoons, but I replaced all my treble hooks with 1/0 Gamakatsu nickle Siwash hooks. Myself and a few other boats I fish with swear by them.

This is what's been working for us this year! Simple to make. The green has been the best color so far!

Default Worm choice

Night crawlers, gulp night crawlers, power bait night crawlers.... Any preferance? I use the gulp for casting and for bottom bouncers...

Gulp and night crawler's. Have had good results with both, but the gulp seem to last longer! Catch 2-4 fish on 1 gulp compared to 1 fish on live meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnebogger View Post
    Ebijack - did you make these harnesses yourself or buy them? I am looking to get some myself and like the look of these. Can you point me in the right direction please.
    I make them, I use #17 test mono, .046 mason plastic crimps. Depending on the spoon used as I have 3 sizes I use, just under 7 inches total length to under 8 inches for the "salmon" size spoons. And yes all 3 sizes have worked. I've run these along with dual spinner harnesses and still this year these have out produced BIG time for me and quite a few other boats. On erie and Saginaw Bay. I have tried gulp and plastics ( I always do), but real meat just blows away everything else for me. If I'm spending the $$ to go out, I'm going to have it all with me and what is working best is getting used. For me, no question meat will be hit before plastics during those times when your trying to figure out everything else when they are not biting hot and heavy. But that's me. Oh, and I have caught 3 walleye on the same nightcrawler 2 times and many doubles on the same crawler with these compared to harnesses. Where I don't believe I have ever been able to reuse a nightcrawler. Go figure... And you don't have to retye these like regular harnesses since the beads are not spinning due to a blade/quick change clip spinning them on the line causing wear. Note: it made a BIG difference keeping the hooks close to the spoon compared to when I had them farther away from the spoon, like I used to make them and had poor results. Also the beads between the hooks, NOT infront of the hooks or infront of the spoon.
    Last edited by ebijack; 07-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Default Spoons

Ebijack - Just sent you a Private message