down riggers down riggers down riggers down riggers
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: down riggers

Post Thanks / Like

Default down riggers

ive run downriggers for years trolling for salmon in lake mich and ontario and was very successful setting the line about 10-12 feet back from the cannon ball---how far back should I be setting the line from the ball trolling for walleye????

Post Thanks / Like

Default down rigger

ive had luck from 20 to 40 ft back just play around from harness to stick baits all caught nice fish

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

As you are well aware, the depth of the ball is more important than speed or distance the lure is from the ball. I rarely go back more than 15 feet and stop the ball 2'-5' above the walleye. Keep changing the depth until you find what works. On slow days when the fish just don't seem to want anything you throw at them run the ball all the way to the bottom, then bring it up a foot or so and watch your fish finder. When you see fish suspended, jerk the line loose and jig your lure through the fish. I've gotten many a walleye on slow days with this tactic, especially with spoons and shallow diving cranks like a Yozuri minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

i,ve found on some days i do much better with the lure close to the ball. one day last year i was running about a 25 to 30 ft lead and had run for about 3 hrs and hadnt had a bite. so i shortened my lead to about 9 ft and started catching fish. i dont know if the ball was acting like an attractor or if the short lead just added extra action on the lure. i was using spoons so the depth would have been the same. i plan on starting with about a 8 or 9 ft lead this year. good luck good fishing and be safe.
    sherman