Goodbye Western, Hello Central Goodbye Western, Hello Central Goodbye Western, Hello Central Goodbye Western, Hello Central
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Goodbye Western, Hello Central

Running out of Cranberry Creek marina is great. The water is great, the people are great, the fishing is almost great. Very few sheephead and other junk fish and the walleye are close. I have been going due north to 32 FOW and turning east watching the depth. I am trolling DDRR back 80'-100' off Church side planers at 1.6-1.9 mph just the way Bob Hanko told me and it works. Most of my trips are over by 10-11 AM so we beat the heat. In the last 2 weeks since leaving Catawba, my cooler has always been heavy with many 26' and 27' walleye. And get this. After 4 trips I thought my fuel gauge was stuck so I went and filled up my 201 ProLine. 23 gallons! Not only is the new 150 Evinrude E-Tec quiet and a trollers dream, it is economical. With a 70 gallon tank and the fish so close, I can troll all summer on one tank of gas (almost). Friday looks like my next day up to Huron from Warren and I cannot wait. I'll be on Ch.79 to tell you what is working. Just listen and watch those boards very closely.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Doc. I"ll be out there on Weds afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doc I'm going out Cranberry Creek Fri

Post Thanks / Like

hey doc
    i moved from the western basin over to geneva and have never looked back. i havent fished the wb in maby 15 yrs. i just like the dipsies and riggers, its just alot more challenging for me. i did stop fishing erie for a spell, my health went south and most of my fishing buddies passed away or moved away. so i just quit. then 3 yrs ago my oldest son comes up and askes if i will take my boat and go to erie with him and his family.

its about a 700 mile round trip for me. so i dont go alot anymore. but i had planned our 9 day trip with my son and his family. and i wanted to make a couple more trips. but my little brother who was also my boat driver and best friend died on the 10th of may. then my other best friend died on the 25th. so i cant really afford to make the trip myself, so i may only make the one trip.
    sherman

Post Thanks / Like

Sherman, I start every season in the western basin because the fish there are active early and I like the scenery. As things change I move east a step at a time. The move to Cranberry Creek has been both satisfying and rewarding. By midsummer I will be at Geneva and I finish the season at Conneaut to chase not only the walleye but the beautiful steelhead. I too have lost a lot of fishing buddies lately so I can sympathize with you but the mystique of Lake Erie and the challenge of the walleye keeps drawing us north. I can't think of a better way to spend my remaining days on the earth.