Lookking for info about Lorain Lookking for info about Lorain Lookking for info about Lorain Lookking for info about Lorain
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lookking for info about Lorain

I am planning on meeting some family from out of town in Lorain next week. I have never fished the Lorain area. I almost always fish out of Conneaut. Any suggestions woul be greatly apreciated in regards to the following:

1) Good launch ramps (I have a 26 foot Striper)
    2) Good place for bait
    3) Any sugestions as to where to star looking for the eyes and & what program to run.

Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Went out Saturday July 23 took wife and my 7 and 5 year old boys. Went about 3/4 of a mile straight out of Hot waters. Got on lake about noon after the storms pasted. We were in 37 feet of water, caught a lot of junk fish and a few small perch but ended up with 54 8 inch or better perch, off lake by 5. Water was very clear and no mud line. Fish were right on bottom crappie rigs and spreaders worked the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lorain

Alvetro,

You can put in at Hot Waters Marina behind the police station in Lorain. They have shiners, divers, etc. there. They have 6 ramps so you should be able to get in/out pretty easily. As for the fishing there now it's been pretty good. Right now people are trolling about 2-3 miles due west of the light house right when you come out. I was out there on Sunday and it was a nut house. 50 boats all trying to catch a big school of walleye that moved in. They were staying between 26-32 FOW. Everybody was in everyone's way and tempers were flaring. A lot of F bombs out there with people getting too close to each other and cutting people off and running close to each others gear. I had the 3 boys with me and they had to hear all that. The perch are hitting in the same area that the walleye are in and people were getting mad at them for being anchored. One guy got an attitude with me because I was anchored and said "Seriously, anchored in a walleye zone?" Walleye Zone??? The whole lake is a walleye zone. It's like people think they own the lake and there are regulations on where you can fish for a certain species. The boys didn't really enjoy being out there with that many boats going by and boats coming right at us while we were fishing. It's not like they couldn't see us anchored and perch jerkin'. Unreal.

However, most people were catching walleye by running jets or dipsy's with worm harnesses. Small dipsy's, 115 back on #2 setting. Or 40 Jets about 60 back. 2.0-2.4mph seemed to get bigger fish for some reason. People who were going 1.6-1.9 or so were saying they were getting smaller fish. Colors were watermelon, pink and purple. Heard a few guys running spoons but no takers so they switched back to harnesses. I lost one about 10lb's before we went perchin', pulled out right at the boat. Oh well.

If you want to get away from the crowd (if the walleye are still in that area) you can run about 8 miles NW of there to the sandbar. There are always walleye there but they can be finicky at times. Reef runners, spoons, harnesses, it's just finding what they want. Use your depth finder and adjust accordingly. Hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Daryl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for the information

Daryl,

Thanks for the great information. It is really appreciated. I hear you when it comes to people acting less than friendly on the lake. It would serve us well to remind ourselves that the lake, its fish, and all of our natural resources are not "OURS". We are simply borrowing them from our children.

Thanks,
    Mike Alvetro