Fairport / Mentor Walleye & Perch? Fairport / Mentor Walleye & Perch? Fairport / Mentor Walleye & Perch? Fairport / Mentor Walleye & Perch?
  1. Default Fairport / Mentor Walleye & Perch?

Going out this weekend either Sat or Sun morning. Not sure whether to focus on walleye or perch in the Fairport Harbor / Mentor Lagoons area. Went out last Friday evening and had some moderate walleye action in 38'-40' off the lagoons. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Default Fishing - Fairport

Well, if the weather is good, I'll be going out also on both days.

I have a season pass to put out of the Fairport Harbor Port Authority on Water Street and I usually stop at the bait shop just off 2 heading north.

Don Moore or one of his staff typically give me "very good" fishing reports as to where the perch and walleye are hitting.

Or, if that doesn't work, just do what everyone else does and is to follow the water to the largest concentration of boats.

That's where the fish are at!

Unhappy Fairport Fishing

Went out last night N.E. of Fairport started in 67 FOW after being told taht's where they were, and got nothing. Went in to 64 FOW toward power plant and had a monster on in 63 FOW off 40 jet back 150'. Would have been the grandsons first Walleye but the hook came out about 15' behind the boat. Kept trolling in to 50' got nothing.

Sorry for the bad report, but it happens from time to time.

We need to post more from the Fairport area on how the fishing is going.

Planning on going out again Thursday will post if weather cooperates.

Good luck to all and keep those lines tight.

4. Default

Last weekend, I had much better luck in close. Trolled the 30's and 40's in 38-40' between Fairport Harbor and Mentor Lagoons. Got some nice hits. Going out tomorrow morning - gonna start in close and then move out if necessary.

I did OK in close last night before running from the storm & where the fish were last year at this time, 42 feet of water off Mentor. There are fish in close for now.

6. Default More Sheephead than Perch

Went out Friday by myself just northwest of Fairport Harbor in 53 feet of water. Must have been 20 boats around. The first 15 fish I caught were sheephead. Only picked about 13 perch and they were nothing to brag about. I would have thrown many of them back, but they had eaten the hooks so I kept them.

If anyone has a good perch report, I'd appreciate it since I plan on going out tomorrow around 6:30 a.m.

Default Walleye or Perch

Hello Wolverine,

Were you catching Walleye od Perch in 42 ft?

I am thinking about going out later this evening or tomorrow morning.

I would love to fish for Walleye if they are in close, but most reports I have heard had them in 68-72 feet.

Please let me know if you do not mind.

Thanks!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine81 View Post
    I did OK in close last night before running from the storm & where the fish were last year at this time, 42 feet of water off Mentor. There are fish in close for now.

Fished yesterday evening from 5 until dark, watching the lagoons fireworks. Must have landed 25 sheephead and about 10 white bass along with 4 walleyes. Hooks pulled out on 2 more. The biggest was 29". A very busy night, constantly reseting board lines using 30 & 40 jets/spoons. I don't like running meat as you pick up even more of the undesirable fish. Saturday's storm might have moved some of the fish out of there but there were still a few walleyes, just had to sort through alot of junk. Others I spoke with who went out to 70 FOW had around 4-6 fish as well so I saved a bunch of gas and a long boat ride.