Vermillion Help Vermillion Help Vermillion Help Vermillion Help

Thread: Vermillion Help

buddstools Guest

Default Vermillion Help

Went out on Sat to the northeast side of the bar, seen alot of marks but no takers. I was using 40 jets with spoons. Moved them all over. Hoping someone has a little help. I don't see too many post on central Erie.

I perch fished this weekend, but, for the last few weeks walleye have been real spotty around the sandbar. The hot spot was near the weather bouy, but I hear thats cooled down too. People keep telling me they are in real close to shore , 26 fow roughly, but I havent tested that yet

buddstools Guest

Maybe I'll try some perchin this weekend. Thanks for the info.

How has the perchin been over there ? Any size yet ?

Last Sunday I had 1 nice 10 1/2 to 11 incher, the rest were 7-9 inches. Not too bad for this time of year I guess

Default Walleye

Went out 2 weeks ago before the weather changed and it was non-stop constant walleye action. I never sat down. Biggest one was 8 pounds. I was 6 miles out due north of Vermillion just to the west of the sand bar in 45 feet of water. Trolling west to east over the sand bar in 39 FOW is where I got all my fish. They were 3-5 off the bottom and I was trolling dipsy's 85 back on 3 setting with reef runners.

I'm sure everything is changing now that the weather has gotten colder but I was marking them all over the sand bar, north and south. I fished 3 days in a row and limited out (in a bass boat by the way) in 2 1/2 hours each day. Packed my freezer and now I'm perching off Cleveland. 50lb's of walleye is enough for me for the winter. 40FOW off Cleveland Browns stadium is where I'm at nowadays. I was watching the air show for Labor day catching them on shiners right off the bottom. Nice to see the air show and catch fish at the same time. Didn't know which I wanted to pay attention to more.

Good luck.

buddstools Guest

Fishin, Thanks for posting. Any info helps your angling buddies. I was out last weekend about 4-5 miles west of the bar and also did pretty good with some quality eyes. Biggest was 8.4 lbs. I was running 40 jets with spoons. My speed was in the 2.5 - 2.7 range. 42 fow running about 70-80 ft back. Was out yesterday around Kelly Shoel. very slow. I think it is about time to start to change over to cranks. Maybe some will post and shed some light and help out their angling buddies. Thanks guys..

Default Walleye vs. Perch

Well I'm going to go out again today but with the winds being S15-20 I'm going to take it slow. Being in a bass boat it can be a little bumpy on those 3footers. I think since the water temp has dropped a lot of those fish are probably moving in bit. So instead of 6 miles due north of Vermilion I'll try at the lower end of the sand bar maybe 4 miles out and see if I can mark any and start fishing. They were so thick in there 3 weeks ago and biting that it makes it frustrating that the weather changed so quickly. Well, I'll let you know what happens.

If it doesn't work out so well then I guess I'll go back to perch.

Default No walleye

Well I went out of Vermilion last night with no success. There were some boats out there (8-10) but I didn't see anyone catching any including myself. I was fishing 8 miles due north 34 20 and then came in about 3 miles 32 20, going from 45 to 39 feet and marked lots of small pods of what I think were perch and bait fish. No big marks, no big schools, it was spotty at best. I'm not sure where they are but I kept coming in closer and closer going all the way to 32 feet. Lots of really small marks but again I had no idea what they were. Certainly it wasn't big hungry walleye as we trolled for 4 hours without a bite. Oh well, that's why they call it fishing and not catching. Another try after work today.

offshore24 Guest

I fish that area all season long. i am successful using crankbaits all season long. the smallmouth and sheaphead love crankbaits. I haven't caight a walleye in 3 weeks in that region. The perch have been hot at the 34 20. There is alot sheapheads and whitebass there as well. A few of my buddies have followed the eyes to the east. I am anticipating them eyes to start heading back towards lorain/vermillion since the water is cooling off.