Planer Boards...do you use them? Planer Boards...do you use them? Planer Boards...do you use them? Planer Boards...do you use them?

Default Planer Boards...do you use them?

I want to take a little poll here so please reply to this message or email me direct with your answer if you are not registered to post on walleye.com.

My poll is this: how many of you use planer boards? I have not used them on my boat, but in the last week I have acquired a set of boards for quite cheap by shopping yard sales and a good friend giving me a mast. If you use boards, do you catch a lot of walleye with them or a lot of junk fish? I am not interested in catching steelhead trout. I don't like eating them and they usually cause me big headaches by tangling up my wire lines with dipsys on them. If you use boards and you do catch a lot of walleye off from them, what are you using for lures? Do you use lead weights in front of them? Wire line or mono? How many lines total do you usually run and how often do you get big tangles? I am fishing out of an 18.5' Lund boat and am just a sport fisherman who loves fishing for walleye and sharing the catch with friends and family. I am interested in learning new to me ways of catching fish. One more question for you guys and gals, do any of you go out to the walleye pack and drift fish with Erie Dearies or bottom bouncing lures? Please tell me how you do that, what lures you use, and how succesful you are catching walleye. My email address is [email protected] so if you want to swap emails and fishing hints I would like hearing from you. Thanks in advance.
    Tom

ps...friends tell me the walleye are still out there re:my last posts Ashtabula 'eyes. Working afternoon shift this week and night shift next week. May try to get out next week and try out planer board fishing. Good luck to all.

Default planer boards

well are they big boards or small offshore boards, ive used them both ,i've been useing small offshore boards since they came out, catch alot of fish on them,easy to use dont take up room either, i use 40 jets 80 to 150 back and my friend uses them with out jets just straight line then his board ,just another tool in the box to catch fish they work

GetTheNet Guest

Default Planer Boards

I have used both as well. I consistently use Offshore inline boards with crankbaits typically...but have used other combinations as well. Got started on them about 2-3 years ago...wouldn't go out without them. The only tip that I can really provide is to replace the front clips with OR-18 clips if using a fused line (fireline, etc.). It really makes them much easier to use, rather than trying to "double wrap" the line in each of the clips in good walleye chop.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies and emails. In line planer boards sound great. We tried the big planer boards Monday but had problems. Got a lot to learn. Any drift fisherman got any info on how to drift for walleye in the central basin? Good fishing everyone.