Looking for white bass and perch Looking for white bass and perch Looking for white bass and perch Looking for white bass and perch
    Basspro Guest

Exclamation Looking for white bass and perch

Taking my dad on the lake monday. Would like to get into some white bass and perch. Preferably close to a fish cleaning sevice and within about an hour and a half of Akron. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

I have a place near Huron, Ohio. (Grew up in Akron) Huron is a bit less than 1.5 hrs from Akron, 77 north, to pike, to RT2 west, Huron exits, RT13 north puts you right near the Huron River. You can get minnows on RT13 just before the RR tracks, good intel from the owner if he is there. Huron has a very nice free launch state pier just east of the river. Fred's cleaning service is on the western side at the foot of the Huron pier, dollar a pound before cleaning.. I go west of the light house with in 200 yards of shore. Look for the gulls going crazy on the surface, there are your WB, average 13 to 15 inches. Fish Ohio can be had. I have found the gulls and have had non stop action for over 3 hours. Was pooped, had to stop, sun was up and it was very hot. No gulls, troll or cast with large white and red Rooser Tails, my favorite is copper Vib-Es. Anything shiney works. Perch can be found east of the pier in 26 to 36 feet of water. For perch, my favorite place is near Cranberry Creek Marina, right in front of Queen of the Lakes trailer park. Also at Cleveland Rd. and RT 13 is the Pied Piper ice cream stand, must stop place. Just east of the river on the right is Berardi's restaurant, recommend the spaghetti and meat balls dinner or the perch dinner. You will thank me for this one. Good luck, hope you tear them up like I did.
    Last edited by FredT; 07-23-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Basspro Guest

Thank you Fredt, You must of been the person who told me about the fish cleaning service last year. 2 friends and myself did go up last year to huron and did get some nice white bass. I moved out of them to look for perch. What bad move that was, we where catching some big ones and at the annual fish fry i have everyone loved the walleye the best then the white bass, then the perch. I was not sure what time of year we went last year. I'm real happy you replied, just made my mind up to come back up with my dad on monday. Looks like I will throw in a spaghetti dinner for him too, he loves good spaghetti.

One question, how far do you let the Rooser Tails sink down before retrieving, when we were catching them we was on bottom with minnows, fishing for perch.

4. Default

Are you interested in launching out of the Chagrin River? If so, the CEI Power Plant is the top White Bass spot I have ever encountered. Huge schools of big fish - a lot of fun to catch. A friend and I caught 96 in just over an hour one day last year. Also, there is usually pretty reliable perch fishing off the power plant and a few spots east and west of there. Send me a private message if you are interested and I will fill you in on more details.

Matt

One question, how far do you let the Rooser Tails sink down before retrieving, when we were catching them we was on bottom with minnows, fishing for perch.[/QUOTE]

If you are into them, you won't be able to crank the handle and you got a hook up. I retrieve as soon as the lure hits the water. The WB stay just below the surface when they are active or have the bait pushed to the surface.

Don't forget that copper Vib-E.

Basspro Guest

Thank you for all the info Fred. I will let you know how we did mon. evening.
    If your on the lake just look for a tri-haul turned into a hillbilly bass boat. I don't know what my dad is looking more forward to, fishing or that good spaghetti dinner you told me about. LOL