noaa reports.  usually wrong noaa reports.  usually wrong noaa reports.  usually wrong noaa reports.  usually wrong
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    great gricey Guest

Post noaa reports. usually wrong

I went out last night after looking at the report on the noaa site - it said waves 1 ft or less. Bull____ I was in 4 footers within 1/2 mile. Next time I am going to go directly to the lake and look. So many times the site said that the lake was calm. Is this usual?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Noaa

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/LE/146.html

I do use this site as a starting point. Besides the report, I look at the actual wave height at the Buoy's.

Agreed, often times the reports are inaccurate and you need to look at the lake or request a wave report on your radio from a fellow boater if you are unsure.

shouldn't have Guest

Ahhh, the good ole weather reports. Lake Erie is always a mystery when it comes to predicting the waves. If your boat is not big enough to handle 3-5's at any point in time, then you should be paying attention to the weather constantly and checking the lake before you head. I boated the last 10 years with an 18' open bow. Most of the time everything was good. Got caught a couple of times in water that made me somewhat uncomfortable. I was finally able to set up to a 28', but I still really watch the weather.

Anyway, before I go out, I check a couple of different sources.
    My favorite site is this one. This link goes to 5 miles north of Eastlake, but you can click anywhere.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php

Second Favorite
    http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ndfd/graphic...eWeek.php#tabs

Then I check the open water forecast
    http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Foreca...US61.KCLE.html

And finally I go to weather.com and check out the hourly forecast paying attention to the forecasted wind speed.

When all else fails, check the lake yourself or stay home!

Hope these links help.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weather reports

Listened to 3 different local TV stations over the weekend and heard 3 dif. reports. Besides NOAA,I look at the lake- http://www.qsl.net/n8kt or www.lakevision.com and pick your closest loc. After all that,still not sure. But good day Sat.-perch limit N of Geneva in 63ft. an 4 eyes betw the 59-01N line/57-54lineW-dipsys 2setting @ 200ft. DEEEP!
    Assassin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default weather or not ?

Same problem small boat and a real big lake . so I have become friends with several bait stores that also run charter services I call them in advance of my trip and get there advice on going out in my boat you cant beat an eye witnesses to the current conditions . I buy my bait and tackle from these guys to keep them around .

great gricey Guest

Thanks for the sites. I especially like the lakevision.com - nice to see the lake before I hook up the boat and drive there. Lake Erie can be a scary place at times. . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great information! I always went with noaa as the "bible" of forecasts. It's nice to have other sites to check.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saturday Sept 12

Went out Saturday morning about 9:00 a.m.
    Looked up the Noaa lake forecast on the net and it coincided with the local news station, 1-3 footers. By noon, I was easily in 5 footers directly out of the east, some maybe bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishfry08 View Post
    Went out Saturday morning about 9:00 a.m.
    Looked up the Noaa lake forecast on the net and it coincided with the local news station, 1-3 footers. By noon, I was easily in 5 footers directly out of the east, some maybe bigger.
    out of conneaut 6-8' by 2pm
    BURNIN DAYLIGHT

great gricey Guest

I sure wouldn't want to be out there this week. 13 footers!