Ashtabula 8/24 Ashtabula 8/24 Ashtabula 8/24 Ashtabula 8/24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashtabula 8/24

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ashtabula 8/24

So basically by the time I get out 25 miles offshore NNW I imagine I am close to straight North of Geneva.

I want to launch there and will soon, I just didn't want to leave fish to find fish.

Today was great. Damn hot when that wind died but was worth it. I didn't launch until after 9:30. Lines started to go in about 10:15. Started in 75-76 FOW. Fished east along the line and they were hammering. Got a 2 man limit in a touch over two hours. Played around and caught 20+ more and released just hoping for a big one for a picture. I have nothing better to do and don't wanna sit in the hotel. Didn't get any big ones today but lots of nice eaters.

I went with all 5 oz snaps today and I think that made a difference. Caught them at 50/150 to 50/190. I tried longer leads to see how far I could push it but that didn't help. I assume they flatten out after 200? 230 and 250 didn't drag bottom but also didn't do anything. Marked tons of fish within 5-10 feet from bottom.

All colors caught but I did lean towards Bandits that had colors and chrome mixed in the same baits today. Tell ya though...that damn Halloween is good....lol. It seems really versatile in all colors of water.
    The water is very clear out there and it sure works in stained water too.

2.0 was too slow. As soon as I pushed 2.3-2.5 the rods fired immediately. Looking at the bait on the surface 2.0 mph it was barely wobbling.

I'm still learning something each and every trip and loving it. That's all I got.

I hope to get out one more time this season. Love this! Pheasant and deer hunting coming soon.

Safe and prosperous fishing Gents!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ashtabula 8/24

Nice report DW! My last time out was 2 weeks ago, Geneva, 72 to 76 FOW. The fish were from 55 to 65 feet down. I busted out some old salt water bass sinkers I had ... 6 ounce and snapped those on. 50/135 and it was game on once I bump up my speed 2.5 to 3 mph.
    Some say that heavy weights affect the way the crankbait runs. I don't know. I've never used anything heavier than 4oz in the past, and was experimenting with these 6oz and they worked. 😉 Several years ago I found a weight/depth chart that covers snap on weights all the way up to 6oz, but does not account for speed, but it gave me enough confidence to try those 6oz.

Post Thanks / Like

Great report DW. I'm headed out there 2nd week of September. I will probably launch out of Geneva because that's where I'm staying. Taking my brother and my dad...hoping to do well. Got some 5oz weights so hopefully I can follow your technique and catch some. Good job and thanks for the report!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job! Hopefully the weather will cooperate Friday so I can head up again. Good info. When the bite is hot it seems like they will hit anything. A couple times I wanted to change colors only to find I had one on and was swimming along with no fight. So I reeled it in and put the same one back out. Lol. High heat this week will keep the bite going out deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Yeah I want to do Geneva too. From my Navionics App it looks like you can hit deep water a lot closer...may e 10-12 miles out? 20-25 seems overkill but I had to to get to 73-75 FOW. The lake was calm and my little 4 cylinder is good on gas so 🤷🏼*♀️.

Tight lines Fellas. I don't see this bite changing for another month or more personally. Surface temp was almost 75 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

P.S. I don't know what the hell that purple symbol is in my message or how it got there LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you’re right on the money with the mileage in Geneva. You can still see land when you’re out there in 73FOW. We started there because there was a line of them at 60FOW.

Post Thanks / Like

When I read 25 miles I was wondering why the walleye would swim that far north. I've never been to Ashtabula. Glad it's not that far to 74 in Geneva. Thanks for the report I hope the walleye stay hungry.

Post Thanks / Like

From Ashtabula it's like 13 miles NNW just to get to 70 feet. Then it is super gradual as it gets deeper and the next 12 miles only adds 5 feet.

I fished quite a bit this year and last and got nothing shallower...in 65-70.feet. Also, zero other boats were in that close when I was fishing. Seems they push farther and farther out as the year progresses.

My best results including the bigger fish on my last two trips was 73.5-75 feet. Saturday I went all the way to the border to see why there were so many boats out there. The lake was calm and it was quick to do so. It wasn't any deeper. They were hitting one right after another but only eater sized fish.

I would recommend as all the others here have, that we mark the fish first and try there. I have marked shallower but they weren't biting. I'm learning that if I am marking but not catching after 30-45 mins then I move to find the hungry ones. Many times I have fished a couple hours and caught nothing. Moved and caught 6-8 in the next hour. Did not change lure depths or colors or speed.

I will try Geneva my next trip to be much closer to shore and it sounds like an awesome park.

The fish are looking for a specific water temp and perhaps oxygen content IMO. The closer to shore the better where the hungry ones are.

I may try Barcelona in NY soon. 75 FOW there is only about 2.5 miles offshore.

Good luck and safe fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

good job DW! awesome stuff my friend! right now i'm finding the bigger fish between the 02 and 04 out of geneva straight north, about 72' deep. the hungry ones are still hanging at 50 to 55 deep. most days i never get all 4 dipsies out if your looking for 18" ish fish. it takes longer to run out there than to get 18 fish somedays.

i'm like you and went looking for bigger fish at at the border on a calm day and just found more of the 16"/18" (charter fish) as fast as you get down there and reel them in.

some days they want spoons others stick baits, but day in and day out the sticks catch the better size IMO. also those pods of bigger fish move around quite a bit. if you stumble upon them you can load up with a big box quick!

good luck out there and stay safe. tight lines my friend............