Trolling Trolling Trolling Trolling

Thread: Trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trolling

It's been a while since an update. I was trying to decide where to walleye fish. Anyone doing any good out of Geneva.
    Last edited by badboards; 08-07-2024 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trolling

fishing has been great! straight north out of the harbor, 72' to 76' deep. fish are stacked at the 50' to 55' depth. i've been using dipsies and wire. spoons and cranks. fish are good quality. some days i never even get the wire out!!!!!! good luck...........

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't fished it lately but in past years you got some great advice from pfk. you can catch fish in shallower water but most will be small or trash. normally this time of year I start at 74' and troll north if the wind is not from the north. If we have a north wind I run on out to 75' for a while. then turn around and troll with the wind going south.

the last few years our best program has been large spoons on our lite bite slide divers which is about the same as a dipsy. we use a 7' 20# seaguar premier fluro leader. we run them deep and run about 2.7 to 3.0 or as close as the wind allows. we get much better fish out there. the big spoons reduce the short fish catch. but you can run small spoons and catch good fish. you can try running shallow diving crankbaits the deep divers will overpower the diver and won't work.

we run 2 downriggers one set at 50' and the other set at 55' with bandit cranks. I use a 25' lead that seems to work good for us. we run deep and shallow divers as either one will work. the very best crank we have used is a bandit sunspot. blue back and chrome bottom is good, we also do good with cranks that's bright green. good luck out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. I usually fish the western basin and don't get to try those techniques. Looking forward to giving that a try. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

if you don't have the goin deep stuff, DW72 listed a in-line board set-up with snap weights thats killer also. i tried that one calm day just to do something different, and it worked great. just slower than i'm used to. there are times out there using dipsies where we could only get 2 rods in the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have read his post and have followed everyone on this board. Lots of useful information. I to have used big boards but not deep usually use the 50-2 method or dipsey's. I'll spend a few days trying all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Yes I have read his post and have followed everyone on this board. Lots of useful information. I to have used big boards but not deep usually use the 50-2 method or dipsey's. I'll spend a few days trying all.
    I run my lite bite slide divers down to 65' set on a 4.5 setting which is about equal to a dipsy set on 3. I got my dive curve by running in 50' of water and letting out line until it started bumping the bottom. I use 65# power pro at 2 MPH it took 185' of line out to reach bottom in 50' of water. then I did my math and got 2.7' down for each 10' of line out. but using a lighter line or a different speed this all changes. but if I let out 40' more line I should be running 4X2.7 feet deeper which would be close to 60' deep so another 20' should be close to 65' deep. so 235' of line out at 2 MPH I should be very close to 65'. but we started using spoons and speeded up to 2.7 to 3.0 so were not running as deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    I haven't fished it lately but in past years you got some great advice from pfk. you can catch fish in shallower water but most will be small or trash. normally this time of year I start at 74' and troll north if the wind is not from the north. If we have a north wind I run on out to 75' for a while. then turn around and troll with the wind going south.

the last few years our best program has been large spoons on our lite bite slide divers which is about the same as a dipsy. we use a 7' 20# seaguar premier fluro leader. we run them deep and run about 2.7 to 3.0 or as close as the wind allows. we get much better fish out there. the big spoons reduce the short fish catch. but you can run small spoons and catch good fish. you can try running shallow diving crankbaits the deep divers will overpower the diver and won't work.

we run 2 downriggers one set at 50' and the other set at 55' with bandit cranks. I use a 25' lead that seems to work good for us. we run deep and shallow divers as either one will work. the very best crank we have used is a bandit sunspot. blue back and chrome bottom is good, we also do good with cranks that's bright green. good luck out there.
    Thanks Sherman 51
    I bought Sunspot and a color called Sprinkles it's chrome with polka dots I'll give them a try. I'll add them to my collection. Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Good seeing you guys again! I appreciate you. Yeah, Sunspot has been a real workhorse for me for the past 5 years. Seems to work in all conditions. I hit them pretty hard on bright chartreuse bandits and shad raps down deep too. I hope to get back out within a couple weeks.

Safe fishing and tight lines fellas😁