Dipsy Frustration Dipsy Frustration Dipsy Frustration Dipsy Frustration
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dipsy Frustration

I'm new to trolling. Was wondering how to stop my 6-8' leader (30# mono) from tangling around the dipsy. Is it getting tangled on the way out for some reason? This tangle prohibits the trip and makes the reeling fight both fish and dipsy. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Dunno if it means anything but I set the outsides on 3 and insides on 0 and use worm burners and spoons.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dipsy Frustration

My thoughts is that you are letting them out too fast. Even with the clicker on, I tend to keep a thumb on the spool to slow it down a bit more. It seems to help.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

We set them in the holders and loosen the drag to let them out slowly...got tired of tangles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickpaolini81 View Post
    I'm new to trolling. Was wondering how to stop my 6-8' leader (30# mono) from tangling around the dipsy. Is it getting tangled on the way out for some reason? This tangle prohibits the trip and makes the reeling fight both fish and dipsy. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Dunno if it means anything but I set the outsides on 3 and insides on 0 and use worm burners and spoons.
    letting them out too fast will cause the problem. slow down letting them out and that should cure the problem. make sure it's not tangled when you put the diver in the water. I like to have my lure in the water and the diver above the water to make sure the leader isn't wrapped around the diver. then I have my clicker on as tight as it will still let line out from the pull of my diver. going too slow doesn't hurt anything but to fast causes nightmares.

Post Thanks / Like

great pointers gents! After reading these, i'm very confident I'm letting out too fast causing the tangle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickpaolini81 View Post
    great pointers gents! After reading these, i'm very confident I'm letting out too fast causing the tangle.
    if your dipsy drops back faster than the lure it is destined to tangle. As the dipsy drops back it does so as fast as it gets line. but the lure is much lighter and it will suspend when the dipsy drops back.