Walnut 6/11/24 Walnut 6/11/24 Walnut 6/11/24 Walnut 6/11/24
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut 6/11/24

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walnut 6/11/24

Today will be the 2nd trip this season and I will post results later this evening.

First trip was last week 6/7/24 and we had to work through a few boat issues but managed to get 6 in the box. Total of 9 hookups with 3 lost at the net. Downrigger with harnesses, 100' back and down 45'. Couple came off big boards, 125 out with deep driver RR.

This is our first year running big boards - any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    24' Caravelle

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Walnut 6/11/24

I learned with big boards and as I had less help and fishing partners, moved to inline boards. My approach was to run the longest leads outside and make slow turns. Run a shallow line all the way out if you wanna target high fish. I used to use releases which worked but a lot of guys use shower curtain hangers with rubber bands for releases.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna give Geneva area a try for the first time. I've never fished that deep for walleye. I have two down riggers. Do you usually put that much line out. For salmon it was 30 feet. It probably depends on the depth.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a rough day as far as boat maintenance goes. We got a late start due to boat wouldn't start. Took us about 4.5 hours to diagnose and fix the issue. Long story short it was the starter module under the rotor. Got the boat started and headed out. Went to setup and the auto pilot wouldn't work. another 1.5 hours and were finial fishing.

Right or wrong we started fishing out deep, middle to north side of first trench. About 76 FOW. Picked up one right away and that was it for the next 4 hours. Packed up around 8:00 pm and headed for the marina. On the way back in we stopped at 53 FOW and started marking fish, not a ton but more than out in 76. Moved into 40 FOW and continued to mark a fair amount of fish. We setup at 40 FOW for a couple hours and started having hookup pretty regularly. Mostly shorts but a few nicer fish.

If going out in the near future I would start early and stay in close - 40 to 55 FOW. Good luck out, be safe.
    24' Caravelle

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the boat troubles Skinny.

Badboards...when fishing that deep water I just head North until the marks are good. I only fish boards. I use the 50 + 2 method with snap weights. But, I use 3 oz to get the bandits down to catch fish that are 40 to about what I estimate are 55 feet down. I did well last year running 3 oz snaps at 50+100 and as far back as 50+150.

I figure I was sometimes over top of a lot of fish that were stacked tight around 65 feet down. So, I bought a few snaps this year that are 5 oz. We'll see how that goes.

I don't have or use dipsues or riggers. Not that they won't work, I just have enough stuff LOL.

Will post everything I do and there are other great guys that fish this area and post. It's great in the summer and no doubt the fish are already there. If you want to try Ashtabula, it's a nice launch and park and there is an onsite bait shop literally at the ramp. They are very helpful, have supplies and they monitor the marine radio channels. If you go out past like 8 miles, there is no cell signal so I bought a marine radio.

Tight lines Fellas!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DW72. I've got a bunch of ways to try for deeper eyes and your method will definitely be one of them. Can't wait to get up there. I'm gonna give vermilion a try Monday really sounds like fun. Thanks and look forward to reading your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Vermillion should be good as between Huron and Vermillion was great for me a few weeks ago. I also see that Capt. Juls is spanking them there now. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

We are still catching lots of walleyes in 45 to 50 fow out of Geneva. We are drifting and casting mayfly rigs or weight forward spinners (Erie Dearies). Color hasn't really mattered. One ounce is working the best. Fish have been anywhere from 20 feet deep to right on the bottom. You have to sort thru the smaller fish, but there are some nice ones mixed in. Caught a 3 man limit on Wednesday with two fish measuring 25" in length. Drifting has been a challenge at times due to lack of wind. It gets tough when the wind dies and you aren't moving. But, in my opinion, it is still more fun than trolling. Don't get me wrong, trolling can be fun, but I prefer drifting and casting until you have to go deeper to catch fish trolling. I don't believe the fish are deep yet. Water temp was 67 on Wednesday and there was a thermocline around 20 feet. I will continue to target these fish until they start moving out. Hope this helps. Tight lines and good luck fellas!

Post Thanks / Like

Great info Schap. The fish are obviously in the Central Basin now!! Casting is certainly the most fun. I have a trim fluid leak to address and then hope to be back out in a few weeks.

I see Budman is posting lately and he's another great source of info.

Looking forward to it fellas!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by schapman126 View Post
    We are still catching lots of walleyes in 45 to 50 fow out of Geneva. We are drifting and casting mayfly rigs or weight forward spinners (Erie Dearies). Color hasn't really mattered. One ounce is working the best. Fish have been anywhere from 20 feet deep to right on the bottom. You have to sort thru the smaller fish, but there are some nice ones mixed in. Caught a 3 man limit on Wednesday with two fish measuring 25" in length. Drifting has been a challenge at times due to lack of wind. It gets tough when the wind dies and you aren't moving. But, in my opinion, it is still more fun than trolling. Don't get me wrong, trolling can be fun, but I prefer drifting and casting until you have to go deeper to catch fish trolling. I don't believe the fish are deep yet. Water temp was 67 on Wednesday and there was a thermocline around 20 feet. I will continue to target these fish until they start moving out. Hope this helps. Tight lines and good luck fellas!
    Great report. Do you ever catch steelhead fishing for walleye. I was originally going to fish vermilion next week but gonna give Geneva a try. Thanks