Geneva 7/23 Geneva 7/23 Geneva 7/23 Geneva 7/23
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Geneva 7/23

Post Thanks / Like

Default Geneva 7/23

Had some boat issues this morning so we didn’t get fishing til 9. Headed north to 68FOW and set up with Bandits and Flickers with 3oz snap weights 200/190 and 180 back. Wormburners off dipseys 0 setting 80 back. Had 10 by 11. Stopped marking fish in 75 and made a turn SW. Picked up the other 8 by 130. Had to work for the last 8. Flickers in lime/chrome, purple madflash and gold/purple did most of the work. Got a couple on wormburners. Probably about 15 shorts and lost 5 nice ones. Fish weren’t stacked up like last trip. Kinda scattered out. Nice day on the water. Half were 24 inches and others were 18-21.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Geneva 7/23

Hey, great trip Budman and thank you for sharing! I'm hoping to try Ashtabula again starting this Saturday for 3-4 days. Fish there lately were mostly in that exact same depth range. Will post all myresults. I've been running 2.25-2.5 for a couple months with cranks and spoons but figure I cannot run harnesses that fast if I need to use them. I assume we can still catch them at 1.75-2.0? What's the fastest you are able to fish worms without them tearing off? If you don't mind saying.

Thanks again Sir.

Post Thanks / Like

I run wormburners at 2.5 with no issues. Guys say with harnesses, the blades are more speed sensitive than the worm ripping off. We did catch a few at 1.9 yesterday tho. Had a hard time gettting the wormburners to depth without shorts getting hooked first.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, thanks for the feedback. I'll start with spoons and cranks. If I'm not doing much, I'll put a few spinner rigs on. I've caught a few at 2.0 to 2.5 on them this year but I wasonly running 1 so did not learn a lot. We only run them 1.0-1.5 on our hometown inland lake....on bottom. I did have several bites so it was hard to tell if the worms were breaking if it was fish. They say willows and Indiana's you can pull a little faster than Colorado's. I'll prove it soon enough. Saw on fishing 411 they run up to 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish central basin up to 52 fow in june I use a #5 colorado spinner with gold red and silver beads I troll 2.0 to 2.5 I run 6 foot leader 30lb test and main line is 14lb test 6 ounce bottom bouncer targeting fish 30 to 50 feet the shorts you catch not tons but the bigger walleyes always catch up no problems if you think your to fast zig zag and do quarter mile big circle good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tinman. That is really great to know and to now have the confidence to run a few lines that way. Maybe I'll start with 3 harnesses on boards off one side and 3 cranks off the other knowing your past successes. I just tied up a batch of new harnesses with #2 main hook and #6 trebles. Thank you very much for sharing. I will post my trip results when I am out there. Right now looking at the wind I'm thinking....... arrive Saturday and head home Wednesday morning.😎

Post Thanks / Like

My main #5colorado is silver hammered spoon I to make lots of lures janns netcraft has everything I need I use .035 6 inch stainless steel slide beads and d. Ring then more beads and #2 eagle claw treble hook only I make look so I can change hooks if needed no crawler will come off #2 treble some guys say to big I pull 20 inch fish over boat no net dont lose fish and I have lures over 50 years old and still good I dont like tied lines for lures they wont last long but thats just my opinion they have the 6 inch wire it has hole to snap lure on and lasts long time good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Cool ideas there. I hope the fish do wear out my harnesses LOL. I'll let you guys know. For now just staring at the weather 5-10 times per day. Will have fun either way and learn a little more from an area that is fairly new to me. I usually fish the Port Clinton area but central Basin is much closer to me. Tight lines to you as well.