PA waters east of Erie PA waters east of Erie PA waters east of Erie PA waters east of Erie
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default PA waters east of Erie

Did well on several excursions over the last couple weeks using 3 oz inline weights with crawler rigs off little planer boards rigged to release with the OR-39 clips. Got 18 keepers on 6/21, 15 on 6/25, 10 on 6/30 (threw back at least 25 short walleyes), 20 (~6 shorts) on 7/2, and 18 (zero shorts!) on 7/4.

We have lost a bunch of fish letting the kids and inexperienced fishermen learn how to handle and net the big ones. Soooo much fun and ribbing with this! (note: we just borrowed this meat board for a picture)

PA waters east of Erie-fish-2-jpg

We only caught 4 sheepsheads and 1 white bass total on those trips. Expectedly, florescent colors were better when cloudy, and flashy/shiny blades better with some sun. Slow death rigs out greatly out-produced the 2 hook harnesses. Colorado blades out-fished the smiley blades. Fish are all over, from 55 FOW out to 100 FOW. Good biters seem to be 30-40 down. Bigger fish out over deeper water. That 55 FOW has a ton of short walleyes. Boat speeds 1.3 to 1.9 mph, SOG. Whack em and stack em!

PA waters east of Erie-fish-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA waters east of Erie

Hey great work and great report! I am only 2 hours straight east I Erie. I do most of my fishing in Port Clinton with crankbaits. I need and want to learn your approach better and just got back from Ashtabula. Great to see the fish are biting that slow on harnesses. Speeds are 2.5 or faster out west with cranks. As I learn and do better with jet divers and inline weights with spoons and harnesses, I will post info.

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you launch if you don't mind saying?

Post Thanks / Like

I usually fish out of North East marina because of the fish cleaning station and disposal, but both Lampe marina and Shades Beach have been a walleye slaughterhouse the last few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Sir. I'll look it up. Could be great for me for 1-day trips so a friend and I don't have to send pets to kennels!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a camp for 20 years at Lakeside in NY and Northeast Marina is only about 3 miles west of NY/PA line off route 5. You don’t have to go too far out of the marina to be in deep water. Not like Ohio. 3 miles out and you’re in 100FOW. Good walleye fishing close and excellent lake trout and steelhead action out deeper. You could also launch out of there and head East into NY up the shoreline and fish with your NY license. Caught tons of walleye, steelhead and perch through the years out of Northeast.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks Budman! I live just east of Olean, NY so that would be a great time to try that....quite close to home for my daughter and me and as you mentioned, fish NY waters. I'll look up that Marina, thanks again..