Ashtabula 7/3 & 7/4 Ashtabula 7/3 & 7/4 Ashtabula 7/3 & 7/4 Ashtabula 7/3 & 7/4
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ashtabula 7/3 & 7/4

Hi Gents,

I usually fish farther west but am going to take my Dad tomorrow who has Dimentia. Still a good fishing partner! I'll go out of Lake Shore Park. Haven't been there in a few years so I guess I'll just go out to 50 FOW and put around until I can mark fish. If anyone wouldn't mind saying roughly what they've been doing I would greatly appreciate it. I'll post what I do good or bad and am happy to exchange info via text while fishing. Unlike in the western basin it's pretty quiet on this site and seems maybe the fish are a mile off or 15 miles out. I'll ask when I get bait too in case I wanna try crawler harnesses. Otherwise will run Bandits and Jet 40's with spoons.

Thank you in advance if anyone sees this and cares to throw a hint out!

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ashtabula 7/3 & 7/4

if going out of LSP get there early if possible, fills up fast. the girls at the bait shop will give ya good info. head NW out of harbor and start at about 58' of water and fish north to 70'. there should be plenty of boats out to see where everyone is fishin. i've been working the 40' depth area with spoons. thats where the fish have been showing up for me, the early bite has been best. dipseys and true trip 40's been doing the work. good luck and safe travels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much Sir! I'll start with that for sure. I'll also post results. Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like

your welcome, no problem. lots of fish have been coming in. watch out for the stormy weather we've been having. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

oh one other thing. if you have a larger motor trim it up to maneuver around after launching until you get outside the sheltered area and a little beyond. needs dredged out again. no rocks but silt. tight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

I will certainly take your advice on all info. I have an I/O so will trim it up. I'll arrive mid day and bring everything with me as far as baits and tactics. Will fish until dark if need be and see what I can learn. Will then be back at daylight on the 4th. More confident and excited now😎

Thank you very much and also to the other Gentlemen who have posted recently on this Central Basin site.

Post Thanks / Like

On 7/1, Three of us went 30° out of Geneva Marina till we hit 70 fow and set up with dipseys. Ran spoons at 115/125 on 1 setting, 140/150 on 2 setting and 175/185 on 3 setting. Speed was 2.7 to 3.0. Had many doubles and lots of throw backs. 3 man limit in 3 hours. Fish we kept were 17” to 25”. Anything with purple was hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Schapman,

Thanks buddy for confirming a good depth to work and the speeds. They were hitting at those higher speeds out west too a couple weeks ago. I'm not as experienced with the jet divers and spoons as I am with the inline weights bandits but I'll have to learn quick. Will maybe do spinner rigs too. According to iWindsurf the lake should be calm tomorrow so I'll zip out and start in about 70 FOW as PFK also suggested. Much appreciated buddy 👍

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry guys, I should have mentioned that I don't have dipsies. So like PFK mentioned, were your active fish appx. 30-40 feet down? I usually fish shallower and target fish suspended at 15-30 feet deep so it sounds like I may have to move down in the water column like 10 feet on average? Assuming they feed upwards 1-5 feet depending on water clarity of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Hell of a quick 3 man limit and great quality fish. Congrats 💪