Help with image on fishfinder Help with image on fishfinder Help with image on fishfinder Help with image on fishfinder

Default Help with image on fishfinder

Just wondering what the red is just off the bottom also the vertical shorter lines. I think they are bait fish or something like that.Help with image on fishfinder-geneva-jpg

Default Re: Help with image on fishfinder

it might help if we knew where you were fishing. but the red looks like a school of perch on erie. but it could be a school of some type of baitfish. the other marks could be small fish or some of them may just be clutter. but the marks with red are fish in my opinion.

I was fishing north of geneva. I go out of huron about every saturday but thought I would try the deeper water for steelhead and walleye. I did catch about 5 walleye and a steelhead at 60 ft. Would make sense that they are perch or baitfish.
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking of heading out to Geneva next weekend. What do you recommend - spoons, plugs, or worm harness?

I fished the last two weekends north of Geneva in 70 fow. Last week we trolled bandits spoons and ripplen redfin and the spoons did the best. It was slow for us and the fish were around 18 to 2o in range. the week before we caught 36 walleye and 1 steelhead and the size average was much better. The bandits and ripplen redfin did great but the spoons only took a couple. I do prefer cranks and spoons.

The red on the bottom are likely baitfish clouds. The thermocline was also around that depth out that far, but it doesn't normally show up that well defined. It is usually just a faint horizontal line. I see that you are in 200kHZ mode, which is a fairly narrow cone angle. At 2.5 mph, those vertical lines could be fish that are in and out of the cone very quickly. I normally see marks like that when I am scanning for fish at 25-30 mph. Next time you see that, try switching your mode to 83 kHZ and see how they look then. Otherwise, they could just be interference or baitfish practicing their synchronized swimming in a vertical pattern....
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)