Walleye smack down! Part II Walleye smack down! Part II Walleye smack down! Part II Walleye smack down! Part II

Default Walleye smack down! Part II

This time we fished out of Wildwood. Started in 46' and trolled to 54'. Caught fish all the way. I don't even know how many, 30?40? All on harnesses, chartreuse Indiana blade, thumbnail size. Speed was 1.5 to 2.0. Marked fish all over the screen the entire time top to bottom. Crazy amount of fish. Caught some sheeps/white perch also. Started at 7am and had our limit of keepers in 40 minutes but fun fished till 11 as they just kept hitting. Lost 3 big ones 20' behind the boat on a chartreuse harness with a nuclear chicken(red/green) 5" Gulp Jerk Shad plus numerous small ones. Never tried that b4 but WTH, it worked! Walleye smack down! Part II-walleye-gulp-jpg

Default Re: Walleye smack down! Part II

Quote Originally Posted by whitecapper View Post
    This time we fished out of Wildwood. Started in 46' and trolled to 54'. Caught fish all the way. I don't even know how many, 30?40? All on harnesses, chartreuse Indiana blade, thumbnail size. Speed was 1.5 to 2.0. Marked fish all over the screen the entire time top to bottom. Crazy amount of fish. Caught some sheeps/white perch also. Started at 7am and had our limit of keepers in 40 minutes but fun fished till 11 as they just kept hitting. Lost 3 big ones 20' behind the boat on a chartreuse harness with a nuclear chicken(red/green) 5" Gulp Jerk Shad plus numerous small ones. Never tried that b4 but WTH, it worked! Walleye smack down! Part II-walleye-gulp-jpg
    I congratulate you on your ability to locate and catch so many walleye using worm harnesses. I tried last month using harnesses over by Kellys island but lacked the ability to get my harnesses to the depths I wanted. I was using 2 oz snap weights in front of the harnesses but was not sure on how much line to let out. I do have the Troll Master app on my phone. Can you give me any advice ?

Erie,
    Here is my advice when running weights. My Dad taught me this when we would troll for northerns or bass in MI inland lakes about 30 feet deep.

Send lure with weight out with counter on until you hit bottom. Don't rely on books to calculate. Make sure speed is steady and direction of wind and current also steady. This gives you a formula.
    My formula last thursday night the BB was hitting bottom when down 20 reel handle cranks in 48 fow.(see don't even need a reel counter) So I knew 17 cranks was 7 feet above bottom give or take. It gets you in the neighborhood. Then interpolate any other depths. I could let it out 10 cranks and be about half way down or 24 feet.

Just understand when you change blade, weight, speed of boat, direction of wind to boat, current below, you are changing the depth it will run.

Rickerd

Quote Originally Posted by ERIE BASSING View Post
    I congratulate you on your ability to locate and catch so many walleye using worm harnesses. I tried last month using harnesses over by Kellys island but lacked the ability to get my harnesses to the depths I wanted. I was using 2 oz snap weights in front of the harnesses but was not sure on how much line to let out. I do have the Troll Master app on my phone. Can you give me any advice ?
    HERE is a very easy way to get your harnesses at about 5' or where you want above bottom. I was using 2 and 3 oz weights about 20' in front of harness. I use Cabelas clip on weight holders, I drop the harness to bottom and click bail then wait about 1 minute. The harness will rise in the water column, then drop it back down and pay attention to how long it takes to get to bottom, 1 thousand 1, etc.. this will tell you about how far you are off bottom. If 10 count you are about 10' off bottom, wait a minute and drop a 3rd time and click bail, should be 5 ft off bottom. Of course speed, current and blade size changes things a little but your count will tell you this. That is it. (keep in mind a 2 or 3 oz weight falls very fast in the water so count appropriately}
    Last edited by whitecapper; 07-07-2022 at 06:49 AM.