First trip of the year out of Sheffield launch ramp, 6-11-2022 First trip of the year out of Sheffield launch ramp, 6-11-2022 First trip of the year out of Sheffield launch ramp, 6-11-2022 First trip of the year out of Sheffield launch ramp, 6-11-2022

Default First trip of the year out of Sheffield launch ramp, 6-11-2022

After reading the fishing reports coming from Huron, Cranberry Creek and Lorain, the expectation was quick limits but not a lot of detail on size. I got in the water around 8:30 AM and by that time there were already a lot of boats in the water from Avon Point to the Sheffield ramp and further west. Surprisingly, many of the boats off the ramp were fishing in shallower water (i.e. 20-30 ft.). I typically go due north from the ramp and don't have lines in the water until a depth of 40-50 feet but I slowed down around 30ft. to take a look. There were a lot of marks and a lot of bait fish activity so I started fishing early and within 5 minutes, caught the first of many 16" fish. I released it wanting to wait for bigger fish but a couple minutes later caught another 16" fish. Released him and then when I caught my third 16 inch fish 8 minutes later, , I realized that this may be all that is available so started to keep them. I released many 16" fish hoping for something bigger but at about 10 AM, I had 3 18" fish and 3 16" fish so turned around and fished going due south about halfway back to the ramp. I continued to catch and release 16" fish on the way back. I was fishing with worm harnesses at depths of 25, 35 and 45 feet going at 1.3 to 1.5mph. Depth for most of the trip was between 48 and 52 feet. The pole at 25 feet with Kellys Island Crusher blade was the best producer. However, that was until, the pole at 35 feet which was attached to a Churches planer board started to go crazy. The board was doing all kinds of gyrations so I grabbed the pole and started to reel and there was some serious resistance on the other end. Got the line in enough to remove the board then began the slow retrieve. Got the fish to the boat and netted him and what a beautiful fish. 8lbs and 28 inches long. I typically let the larger fish go but in a moment of weakness (and empty freezer) decided to keep him. Once I landed the big fish, decided to call it a day. Since I can never make a big fish look big in a picture, I did a comparison shot with a 16" fish on my pizza box cutting board. Sorry if the picture is upside down, could not fix it in preview mode
    Attached Images Attached Images First trip of the year out of Sheffield launch ramp, 6-11-2022-8lb-walleye-6-11jpg-jpg