Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23 Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23 Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23 Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23

Default Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23

I left Sheffield Lake launch ramp at 9:30am Friday morning and lake was almost dead calm, skies were overcast and there was a light south wind. This was my second trip out of Sheffield Lake this year and unlike the first, things were very quiet and for as far as you could see, there were no boats on the horizon despite Avon Lake launch ramp parking being half full and 12 empty trailers at Sheffield Lake ramp. That could only mean one thing – everybody got out early and went way north. I pondered doing the same but since I was fishing by myself and only had to get a one man limit, I figured I would do the same thing that I did last year which was to go due north from the ramp to 40-45 feet, put the poles in the water, go north and look for fish.
    It is worth mentioning that this particular day was listed as “great” on the solunar calendar with the peak morning period from 10:30am to 12:30. I was curious to see if and how this would play out.
    Well, it did not start too great. I hit 40 feet, saw some good marks and threw out a couple of flicker minnows while I was getting my worm harnesses ready. By about 45 feet, I had everything switched over with no hits on the flicker minnows. For the next 45 minutes I did not get one bite despite there being some good marks on the fish finder periodically. The fish weren’t even stealing the bait! Finally, I got a bite on the pole that I position the harness as close to the bottom as I can get it. I actually had to hook that fish myself since the bite was so lite. Result was 16 incher. Bummer but that’s a start. Got another bite shortly thereafter but was a short. I am looking at my watch and seeing that it is already 10:30am so I am waiting for the big bite to start. Over the next hour and a half, I managed to get 3 more keepers and the occasional short but again, the bite was really lite and the fish small. It wasn’t until noon that the fish turned on and were biting aggressively and in the next half hour I got the rest of my limit and changed out some of the smaller fish from the live well. Ended up with (1) 19 incher and everything else was bigger (22” was biggest). Most fish came from 35-45ft in 55ft of water and color didn’t seem to matter. Trolling speed was 1.5mph. Post 12:30, I trolled for a bit on the way back to the ramp but caught mostly shorts.
    Despite the shaky start, really great day
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23-fish-jpg 

Default Re: Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23

I see posts from here that people with live wells "switch out" smaller for bigger fish, my first boat was a 16' aluminum tracker it had live wells and there is no way you are keeping fish alive pumping 76 degree water in a live well that is being in 80 degree plus heat and probably sun beating on it from fish that came from probably closer to 70 degree water. so my question is if you want the bigger not so tasty fish, why do you start keeping the smaller ones just to throw them back hours later dead or going to die. Just wondering?
    Last edited by projector163; 07-26-2021 at 08:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing report from Sheffield Lake Launch Ramp, 7-23

Yea, they go belly up in my live well on the Ranger this time of year. I just use the cooler. No throw backs once in the box.