Geneva 7/22 Geneva 7/22 Geneva 7/22 Geneva 7/22

Thread: Geneva 7/22

Default Geneva 7/22

Lake was a little rough in the morning to run big boards so we ran divers for a couple hours. Only caught 2. After lunch the lake settled down and we got the boards out. Ran cranks with 3 ounce snaps in 70 to 75FOW. Limited out in 2 hours. 3 man limit. A couple times we had 3 on at a time and had a couple on before the release was finished running out on the board line. Limit was all 5 plus pounders with 3 17 inchers. Only 3 shorts and no sheep today. We boated 1 steelhead too in 75FOW. Tan perch, gold, clown and purple were the colors of the day. Another great day on the water! We trolled NE and SW at 2.0 to 2.4MPH. The hottest action was trolling SW in 75FOW with the wind and waves. Get out there when the lake allows. The bite is hot!

Default Re: Geneva 7/22

Quote Originally Posted by Budman118 View Post
    Lake was a little rough in the morning to run big boards so we ran divers for a couple hours. Only caught 2. After lunch the lake settled down and we got the boards out. Ran cranks with 3 ounce snaps in 70 to 75FOW. Limited out in 2 hours. 3 man limit. A couple times we had 3 on at a time and had a couple on before the release was finished running out on the board line. Limit was all 5 plus pounders with 3 17 inchers. Only 3 shorts and no sheep today. We boated 1 steelhead too in 75FOW. Tan perch, gold, clown and purple were the colors of the day. Another great day on the water! We trolled NE and SW at 2.0 to 2.4MPH. The hottest action was trolling SW in 75FOW with the wind and waves. Get out there when the lake allows. The bite is hot!
    thanks so much for the report. we plan on fishing from the 25th through the 30th weather permitting. we aren't set up to run boards but going to start the day with 3 shallow bandits on divers and 1 more on the downrigger. then 3 large spoons on the other side with divers and 1 shallow bandit on the rigger. last chance on ch 68 out of geneva.

That’s what we did in the morning. I was running about a 6 foot leader off the diver with the shallow bandit. Only got 1 nice 23 incher. I tried big spoons and small spoons. I even ran a slow death hook rigged spoons with half a crawler and got nothing. I did not try another diver when the bite got hot cause we had trouble just getting 6 lines out on the planers without hooking up. Good luck. You should be covered with that spread. Try some purple combinations if you have them. They’ve been really hot for us the past 2 weeks. Clown, gold combos and green/chartreuse also. 70FOW and deeper have been lights out!

Went out of Geneva state park yesterday the 31st shot out to 72 fow started trolling north with 4 divers out 2 with spoons and 2 with worm harness. After about 20 min we got our first fish 16” on a wonder bread spoon.

Trolled another hour catching about 6 more shorts and a couple farm animals. Packed up and headed north to 75 fow and trolled east towards Ashtabula catching 3 keepers in about 20 min on a black and red home made spoon. All in all in 5 hours we walked away with 13 keepers and we lost 2 good ones at the back of the boat.

Back at the docks I talked to a couple guys and they all said the same thing they caught a lot of shorts.

90 percent of what we have caught this year has been on cranks. Spoons and harnesses just haven’t been producing for us like the cranks have. Maybe throw a crank behind a diver and see what happens. We caught a couple shorts and no sheep last time out off cranks. Seems like the steelhead are preferring cranks to spoons for us too. Sounds like you had a good day on the lake.

I'll often pull a Rapala floating minnow behind a dipsy or jet diver near the bottom where I can't easily get a deep diving crankbait. You'd be surprised how well it works.